Renovated the house for 5.1, but damn...

fringeidiot

Standard Member
Coming to the end of a major renovation project, and cleverly had the lounge wired for 5.1. just fitted the QAudio Q-AV System with Subwoofer that looks like a radiator. So far, so good, until I realised that in my wisdom I had put in a speaker wire for all points, not being aware of the existence of a subwoofer cable. You can laugh, I know I would.
Anyway, the question is this: with the subwoofer connect and cable being an RCA end with unbalanced, shielded cable, might I just use the 2 core speaker cable (unshielded of course), with one core as the feed and one as the shield (ish) onto RCA ends?

not having had an amp with a sub connection before, I just assumed a speaker is a speaker, sub or not.

with the issues that come up on a big building project, this is a realtively minor issue, but one that I would like to solve without running extra cable outside the walls.

Lee

cribeiro

Novice Member
not having had an amp with a sub connection before, I just assumed a speaker is a speaker, sub or not.
You connect the sub via low-level, that is, a weak signal that can be corrupted. It could be that you get hum.

But that's the smallest problem :rolleyes: You need to play around with the position of the sub, you can't assume that it will sound good in the most convenient spot. If you go for it seriously, you'll need to try several positions. Sorry for the bad news :(

OTOH, most of people can't afford the most convenient position, so don't despair :smashin:

fringeidiot

Standard Member
thanks for the reply.

well, it is going where it looks best, but not a real problem since it will not be pushed too hard as it is for family use.

the limiting factor on the speaker cable will be the current draw I guess. the sub is 120W, so that gives me ½A to pull, and am ussing Audio Innovations Ultra Micro which is not the largerst core.
can't seem to find any specs on it as yet.

will keep searching.

as for it being technically unshielded, it might play havoc with other equipment. I don't think a pull through will work as this cable is going on quite a journey.

Lee

cribeiro

Novice Member
the limiting factor on the speaker cable will be the current draw I guess. the sub is 120W, so that gives me ½A to pull, and am ussing Audio Innovations Ultra Micro which is not the largerst core.
The subwoofer is an active one, right? Then, the signal going through the cable will be small, and will be amplified in the subwoofer. The sub must be plugged to the mains, and there is where you will have 120W drawn. I hope you did take into account the mains cable of the sub :(

fringeidiot

Standard Member
The subwoofer is an active one, right? Then, the signal going through the cable will be small, and will be amplified in the subwoofer. The sub must be plugged to the mains, and there is where you will have 120W drawn. I hope you did take into account the mains cable of the sub :(
yes it is active
you make a good point about the power down the 'sub' cable being very low. seems I made an incorrect assumption. in this case the speaker cable can cope easily with the draw, so it will come down to how it acts with the 'shield' being side by side instead of wrapping the feed. it may well work.

this sub is designed to be wall mounted and the only citing advice they give is not to put it in the corner, although in their main demo picture, they put it in the corner!
I do have power right next to the unit.

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom