Renewing Virgin media contracts

PhillyG76

Established Member
Reaction score
Most of Virgin’s packages seem to have low introductory prices of for example £89/month for the ultimate oomph package but then jumps to £139/month after 12 months. But what’s to stop you ending the contract after 12 months and taking out a new contract for another low introductory price? I can imagine there being a bit of hassle and maybe losing services for a few weeks. But I’m sure there must be a lot of customers who do this if it means saving £50/month. Infact I think I even asked this on Virgin’s page on Facebook and some said it is possible. But why does the price increase so much. It wouldn’t be so bad if they offered a lower price for just three months and then it increased by just upto an extra £10/month. Virgin could easily gain lots more customers. Where I live is a village and despite having over 6,000 population. A big secondary school, small industrial unit and lots of shops, BT has no interest in putting fibre in. But initially I was only interested in Just Broadband, but on it’s own it’s more than twice the price of our EE service fo just £50. Yet you can get twice the speed plus a landline for just an extra few pounds. But we never use landline phone yet most packages work out poor value for money or even more. You can’t even get Broadband and TV to try and reduce prices per month. It’s madness. There must be loads of small to large villages that only Virgin supplies fibre to. They could easily dominate these areas. But sorry rambling on. Does anyone who’s basically started a new contract have any problems or advice to make things go smoothly? Many thanks for any suggestions.

But what’s to stop you ending the contract after 12 months and taking out a new contract for another low introductory price?
When I asked VM Customer Service that exact question. I was told by a senior manager that they (VM), stop you by saying you can't cancel & recontract at the same address within a 12mth window. Ie there has to be a 12mth gap between cancellation & recontract to be considered a "new" customer. Anything less and VM classify you as an existing customer. Whether that's true I've never tested to confirm!

This is worth a read, to see what deals are available when your contract ends Virgin Media Retentions Discussion- Part 3.

On a personal note, I’ve had virgin media twice and when the contract ended I could never get the same offer as a new customer, so I left both times.

Just had a call from Virgin trying to get me to upgrade (currently pay £43 for internet only (350mbps)). They were offering tv and 500mbps for £51 for 18 months. However they said prices will be going up in september (mine by £7). Anyone else heard about more rises? Should probably have taken the deal if the prices are going up, as they said my new deal price would be protected for 18 months, but dont want tv and no need for 500 mbps.

Definitely not the Satellite section.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom