Renewing Car Tax advice

playaz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought my car earlier this year - my car tax runs out in the next few days - however my V5 Log book is still in the name of the previous owner - I presumed the Dealer I bought the car from would have done this (or at least advised me to do this myself)

As stated my car tax runs out soon, however the V5 isn't in my name - what do I do?

Many Thanks

Taken from the web site
"If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the vehicle. You’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name. To get one, fill in form V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. You may have to wait up to four weeks for a new certificate to arrive. In the meantime, you should keep your vehicle off the road".

You have a problem... the same thing happened to me and i foolishly assumed the dealer had done the paperwork, they hadn't and i hadn't chased them, by the time i did though it was too late and ultimately my car was off the road for 4 weeks whilst i sorted it via the above method :mad:

Was hoping you wouldnt say 4 wks :(

Thanks though thats exactly what I asked for.. much appreciated :)

Two things to consider, DVLA is always 4-6 weeks behind and secondly, the seller should've done the paperwork asap in case you happened to go blatting through a few Gatso's and park where ever you like.....

Hi Guys,

I bought my car earlier this year - my car tax runs out in the next few days - however my V5 Log book is still in the name of the previous owner - I presumed the Dealer I bought the car from would have done this (or at least advised me to do this myself)

As stated my car tax runs out soon, however the V5 isn't in my name - what do I do?

Many Thanks

Take it to your local VLO with the mot (if Aplicable), & Insurance cert. They will tax it, issue a disc & send the V5 for replacement.

might be stuffed then :thumbsdow

one last option maybe ...

you used to be able to fill in the application form for a new log book and hand that over in post office with tax form and docs. post office then send that of to DVLA for you. Done this myself in the past but not for a few years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom