Rendering glitches on Vegas Movie Studio HD v11 when using DVD format

It's running OK on my laptop, but it aint half slow (about 20%) complete. A kingdom for a core 5 :D.

You are not starting with 1080p50 are you by any chance ?

I have other options like TMPG and Videoredo but none of them is free.

If it doesn't work for you I will abort the recode.

What camcorder have you got ? If it's a Sony PMB can recode to mpeg2 and it's quite quick as well, if you have pmb I can give that a whirl.

PS

Aborted recode. The 20% or so it had already completed is OK.

Last edited:
Ken42: The problem doesn't appear when I render to 1920x1080-50i, this file format plays seemingly perfectly because it matches the project settings and the output from the camcorder. The AVCHD files play perfectly, as does an AVI file I tried, it just appears to be the Main Concept MPEG-2 format that isn't rendering correctly...

Graham: I couldn't get Super to work with any files whatsoever, so I stopped trying. The camcorder is a cheap Panasonic HDC-SD10, which has recorded all my footage in HA mode, which I believe is 1920x1080-50i at approximately 17Mbps.

I'm currently trying my same project but rendering at a lower quality for the MPEG-2 file to see if this works any better. If not, I might consider trying to implement the memory cap fix and returning to version 10, if you think it's worth the extra effort and won't upset the running of version 11 (just in case I need to return to it if version 10 has the same problem)...

Ken42: The problem doesn't appear when I render to 1920x1080-50i, this file format plays seemingly perfectly because it matches the project settings and the output from the camcorder. The AVCHD files play perfectly, as does an AVI file I tried, it just appears to be the Main Concept MPEG-2 format that isn't rendering correctly...

Graham: I couldn't get Super to work with any files whatsoever, so I stopped trying. The camcorder is a cheap Panasonic HDC-SD10, which has recorded all my footage in HA mode, which I believe is 1920x1080-50i at approximately 17Mbps.

I'm currently trying my same project but rendering at a lower quality for the MPEG-2 file to see if this works any better. If not, I might consider trying to implement the memory cap fix and returning to version 10, if you think it's worth the extra effort and won't upset the running of version 11 (just in case I need to return to it if version 10 has the same problem)...

I have a friend with a SD90 and I did a DVD for her from 1080i full HD, and I used the supplied software (i installed it on my pretty slow desktop using her camcorder to authorise the install) to re-render copies of the clips to 720 x 576 mpeg2 before editing in Premiere. No problems at all. I can't see why you can't try this with your large .M2TS (You can safely rename the file to .mts if required).

What OS are you using ? Super@ runs fine on Windows 7 32 bit on my laptop. 64 bit may be a problem.

Hi Graham, I have Win7 on a 64-bit machine, pretty much the standard these days. However, my laptop is 32-bit and Super returned the same errors on that.

Using another program was something I did consider - there was some software that came with the camcorder (HD Writer AE 1.5?) and I also have a genuine copy of Corel Video Studio Pro XP which can handle HD files, in fact I used the latter originally to create copies of the camcorder rushes as MPEG-2 files so that I could view them on the laptop at my leisure, and never had any issues with any of the mpegs - if I had I would've been reaching for the camcorder to re-shoot them! I ditched Pro XP because I didn't like the 'dumbed-down' interface and felt far happier using Vegas Movie Studio.

The low quality Main Concept MPEG-2 file is just as littered with glitches so I'm re-rendering what I believe is the final edit of the movie to AVCHD one last time. Providing this file plays back OK I can try and use this in DVDA or Corel Pro XP to create my DVD copies, I just don't understand why this format is not working as it should. It must surely be a bug or a 'bad' encoder, it just doesn't make sense to me... :confused:

Hi Graham, I have Win7 on a 64-bit machine, pretty much the standard these days. However, my laptop is 32-bit and Super returned the same errors on that.

Using another program was something I did consider - there was some software that came with the camcorder (HD Writer AE 1.5?) and I also have a genuine copy of Corel Video Studio Pro XP which can handle HD files, in fact I used the latter originally to create copies of the camcorder rushes as MPEG-2 files so that I could view them on the laptop at my leisure, and never had any issues with any of the mpegs - if I had I would've been reaching for the camcorder to re-shoot them! I ditched Pro XP because I didn't like the 'dumbed-down' interface and felt far happier using Vegas Movie Studio.

The low quality Main Concept MPEG-2 file is just as littered with glitches so I'm re-rendering what I believe is the final edit of the movie to AVCHD one last time. Providing this file plays back OK I can try and use this in DVDA or Corel Pro XP to create my DVD copies, I just don't understand why this format is not working as it should. It must surely be a bug or a 'bad' encoder, it just doesn't make sense to me... :confused:

HD writer was the software I used (it was a while ago)

If you don't get anywhere you could try a trial version of Videoredo TV Suite H264 which will also burn you a DVD if you wish. Just open your big .M2TS and either output as mpeg2 or just create a DVD.

VideoReDo MPEG Video Editing Software

Thanks Graham, I'll look into that later.

I've just played back the AVCHD file and once again it appears to play back perfectly without the slightest hint of any problems.

There are one or two adjustments I need to make with the editing so I'm going to crack on with those, then install Corel Video Studio Pro X2 (sorry I wrote Pro XP earlier) and try rendering the MPEG-2 file from there. I'll update later when I've had a go at it :)

Big thanks to you and everyone else for the help so far :smashin:

What a nightmare I'm having... :(

I burnt a DVD this morning of the latest edit but the soundtrack appears to be suffering from subtle but noticeable artefacts. Luckily the visuals are glitch-free but the audio sounds like it's been passed through some kind of AGC or compressor that's ramping the volume higher on low volume sections.

I've read about re-compressing in DVDA, investigated and checked that neither the audio or video files have been recompressed - DVDA claims that they are not.

I can't find any options that would cause the compression effects in either VMS 11 or DVDA. I have used compressors on both the commentary speech and a 'brick wall' limiter on the master audio outputs, but I don't hear these working when I preview the movie or play a rendered AVCHD file.

Any thoughts...?

The first template I tried was the DVD Architect PAL Widescreen format, then I rendered the video and audio files seperately; video was DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream and audio was Dolby Digital AC-3 Studio (.ac3) Stereo DVD, AGC off.

I have just burned a new DVD using an uncompressed 48kHz 16-bit stereo PCM .wav file for the audio to see if it's the same...

Unfortunately, I've just updated the build of DVDA 5.0 to build 157, and DVDA appears to have disappeared altogether from my system... :mad:

I've managed to get DVDA up and running again - apparently I made the 'mistake' of applying the update when DVDA wasn't running. Despite searching for the program I couldn't find it, and even though build 157 appeared in the system even Windows couldn't find it! I resorted to uninstalling build 157 and re-installing build 128 from disk, then ran the update before shutting the program down. After being prompted to reboot, which I did, all seems to be well now.

The PCM version of the DVD appears to be suffering from the same problems of 'pumping' volume although at first listen it doesn't appear to be as noticeable. Maybe the .ac3 format is too compressed? Certainly the PCM file is around ten times the size. Once more the visuals from the DVD appeared to play back perfectly, which is a total mystery to me... :rolleyes:

I've managed to get DVDA up and running again - apparently I made the 'mistake' of applying the update when DVDA wasn't running. Despite searching for the program I couldn't find it, and even though build 157 appeared in the system even Windows couldn't find it! I resorted to uninstalling build 157 and re-installing build 128 from disk, then ran the update before shutting the program down. After being prompted to reboot, which I did, all seems to be well now.

The PCM version of the DVD appears to be suffering from the same problems of 'pumping' volume although at first listen it doesn't appear to be as noticeable. Maybe the .ac3 format is too compressed? Certainly the PCM file is around ten times the size. Once more the visuals from the DVD appeared to play back perfectly, which is a total mystery to me... :rolleyes:

There's no justice is there sort out the mpeg2 visuals and you get audio problems :eek:. Not too familiar with DVD architect but on Encore you can add and delete audio tracks and with most video editors output audio in MP2, PCM and if supported ac3 and select which audio you want by adding the appropriate menus.

Sorry about the late reply - I've been finishing off the Bluray discs, and I'm pleased to report that all has gone well as far as I can tell, I have glitch-free visuals and the audio sounds exactly as it does when I view the project.

I swapped the audio render from .ac3 to an uncompressed .wav file and used this with the high definition video render to burn the bluray disc - neither video nor audio components require recompression when burning. I wasn't happy at all with the artefacts present in the compressed .ac3 file.

Now comes the worst part of all - the movie is entered into a documentary competition tonight, so I shall be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well!

Many thanks to everyone for their help so far. I'm still suffering from strange glitches when rendering to a compressed mpeg2 format (although these don't appear on any DVD but do appear on any computer) but ultimately as long as the Bluray and AVCHD files play without issue then it's a result for me :smashin:

John,
good to read the positive experiences and good luck with the competition :)

Thanks vkmast, I'm pleased to report that all 'our' hard work was worth it and I gained first place in the competition!

Many thanks for everyone's help :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom