Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Renault Zoe, Long Day Many Miles, But Few Charge Stops.

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by PRESSTOG, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Had a longer than normal work day to do, so gave the New Zoe a chance to Stretch its legs and impress.

From Home to Brighton about 207 miles. And Back via Warwick, so about 430 miles all in.

The 207 is just outside the Zoes range at this time of year, and also to get that range would have been an uncomfortable heater off 55mpg lorry hugging trip, so I decided to go faster (65mph) with the heater on and scheduled in a charge stop.

Being a tight Northerner with deep pockets and short arms I picked a charge stop and backup on the way down that were free to use

Charge point of choice was the Shy Horse Pub off the M25 at Jnc 9 This is an Ultracharger on the Polar Network with no charge for the Electric Used. I also had a backup in mind at The Runnymead Hotel @ Jnc13 in case I had overegged it on power use.

As it was it was a nice smooth (Early morning) run down and I pulled into the Shy Horse (160 Miles) with 10% Battery (22 Miles Left)..

Pub was not open so started the charge and walked off to the local Shell station to laugh at the ICE cars and get a coffee. By the time I drank my coffee in the cafe and walk back to the car 45 Mins had passed) Car was at 87% with a range showing of 170Miles. (Less than 50 to Brighton so happy days).

Plan was to drive to Brighton park up do job and then back to Shy Horse again to charge for return trip.

As I got into Brighton and My Destination I noticed the CYC Charger right outside the Sealife was vacant so parked up. So tried to tap in to charger but card rejected. A quick call to CYC who updated the post and my card worked.

3 Hours later all done back to car which was all charged up to 100%. This was good as there was a change to my plans and I needed to pop into Warwick Castle on my way home for 10mins.

146 Miles from Brighton to Warwick Castle so a nice easy run.

There are no Chargers at the Castle yet, (Merlin are slowly putting some in at the locations they run but its a slow and painful process).

So on getting to Warwick I put the car on the Polar Ultracharger at the Harvester/Holiday Inn for 30mins while I had a pee/coffee break. By this time I had more than enough power for the run home after the Castle Stop.

74 Miles home, and arrived with 32% Battery Left..

Total Driven 429 miles. TOTAL COST FOR CHARGES AND PARKING £0.00

What a difference compared to the trip in the smaller battery i3. 5 to 6 stops and a bit of Rex backup. Plus I would have had to pay for most of my charging as I would not have made it to my preferred free chargers.

At The Moment for the long distance driver Battery Size is everything. I would still like a bigger battery pack (But as well as not liking the size of the Tesla I am not able to spend Tesla Money on a car).. If as promised the 2019/20 Zoe has a 60kw pack and CCS charging I will be very happy. Till then 41kw suits me just fine.

If you Equate the battery to a Petrol Tank and an average car doing 50mpg. Then the Zoe has a 20 Litre Tank. And the i3 a 9 Litre Tank. A Massive Difference for Long Distance Drivers

Only thing would make things easier is if there were a proper network of reliable rapid chargers (Read Tesla Type Supercharger Stations). Along the Motorway network for non Tesla EVs, Would make trip planning and stop reliability so much better

BrightonRun.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143 (1).jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Great mileage your getting, thanks for posting.
    I wish my Leaf (30kwh) would come close to that, especially with the heater on in this climate. I’m a little disappointed with it tbh.
    I may look at Renault when my contract is up in 2020

3. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +683
    Very interesting read , thanks with electric cars getting more popular how long do you think charging points will be free , and how much does a full charge cost you

Thanks

4. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    On my home charger overnight I pay 5p a kWh so if car was totally empty (never really happens that way). It would cost £2.05 ish to fill. I find it’s about £1 a night on average in reality

Some polar chargers are free others cost 10p a kWh so between £3 and £4 a time on those to charge

The free ones are normally at locations looking for you to spend time there pubs restaraunts shops etc.. so may stay free or may charge in future

But in the great scheme of things £2 to £4 for 180 miles is still stupidly cheap motoring

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,249
    Off topic, but I had a laugh when my fitness band informed me that the climate control had been activated on the Leaf tonight. Aha I thought, Mrs IG has activated it prior to coming home from work.

6. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    This is the great thing about EVs, home charging is so cheap especially compared to petrol/diesel. Our Leaf cost 1.7p per mile in fuel over 14K miles, the Tesla is currently around 2.5p - We have E7 electricity so night rates are stupidly cheap.

Tesla are currently building a stupid number of Superchargers about a 10 minute drive from my house, even though I have free for life unlimited supercharger use with our car, because home charging is so cheap I cannot see me refuelling there rather than at home unless it happens to fit in with my schedule for the day.

7. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    That’s the one thing that Tesla have got so right and no other company seems to comprehend.. it’s the multiple stations it’s alright dotting the odd charger here and there around the country but until you put in multiples it’s never going to be reliable and you will always need a backup plan

A single charge can be in use when to get there iced out of service or a multitude of other issues. Each additional unit you add and the chance of this happening falls by a massive percentage.

Tesla get this and plan for it.. others don’t seem to.

I am a great fan of the polar network but they are plodding forward with more and more single unit stations (triple head ultra chargers that can only charge a single vehicle at a time) they hav3 promised multiple unit supercharger type stations for over a year and nothing has been forthcoming. And till it does a backup plan is always required something that is not an issue for Tesla drivers.