• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Renault turbo advice

Mighty Chipster

Established Member
Hi All,

Posting on behalf of my dad who owns a 2 year old Renault Grand Scenice 2.0 diesel.

His is concerned about the degree of turbo lag whilst accellerating from a standstill or slow speed, especially round abouts for example.

Should he be experiencing such a long lag? Is this normal for this engine?

p.s. I think he has the 2.0d 150 tom tom TMP auto dynamique model.

MC

Last edited:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Mighty Chipster said:
Hi All,

Posting on behalf of my dad who owns a 2 year old Renault Grand Scenice 2.0 diesel.

His is concerned about the degree of turbo lag whilst accellerating from a standstill or slow speed, especially round abouts for example.

Should he be experiencing such a long lag? Is this normal for this engine?

p.s. I think he has the 2.0d 150 tom tom TMP auto dynamique model.

MC

Turbo lag is always a problem at low engine speeds, and is exacerbated by automatic transmissions.
In a manual, you can manually control the revs and clutch to avoid the engine 'bogging down', but no option in an auto.
I used to experience the same delay at roundabouts and junctions in my automatic Audi A3 tdi.
It got that I simply didn't try to nip out into gaps in traffic I would happily go for in a manual.
Of course, it is possible there is a problem with your dads car, the only way he can really check is to try and drive another one to compare.
That's what I did with my Audi, only to find out some 'delay' from low speed is normal, until the revs get up to the point the turbo is spooling up properly.
This 'delay' is one of the reasons I went back to a manual, so I'm back to controlling the revs myself, rather than waiting for the car to catch up.

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Below 2000 RPM the turbo does very little. Lag is an issue on all diesels unless they have newer multi vane designs.

All diesel engines benefit from some high revving. At least once per day with the engine up to temp, rev the engine under load up to the limiter and hold it there for a few seconds. This removes all the clag that builds up, clearing the engine's throat so to speak. On an auto this can be hard to do unless you use the gear hold facility if fitted.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
They have now removed the 2 litre engine on the Grand Scenic so it may just be that it was an unsuitable or not very good engine and didn't sell very well.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom