Renault Megan starting issue

Longy00000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok my daughter has the above on a 2005 plate. It's the 1.6 16v version.
Now it will start instantly without problem but she has to sit and let it idle for 2 to 3 mins before driving off.
If she even touches the throttle in those first couple of mins it instantly cuts out. Wait a few mins and no problems at all.
Any ideas from those more mechanically minded?
Cheers for your help

If there are no warning lights on, the first thing to do would be to clean out the throttle body and go from there.
There may be a problem with the EGR valve, but clean out the throttle body first.

Ok will see if we can check that out. Def no warning lights though.

That's exactly what happened to my wife's 2005 1.6 16V Scenic recently. It was a dodgy cam sensor. It didn't come up on my cheapie ODB2 reader but as soon as I took it to a garage they identified it immediately. Been fine since they fitted a new one.

Cheers for that. I'm hoping to find time to try cleaning the throttle body first as that is a free fix ..so to speak. But good to know what else to consider if we draw a blank !

Little update I has the inlet off and took air box off. Inlet nice and clean nothing obvious at all. The throttle body wasn't bad at all a little but if oil spray on engine side of butterfly valve bot not the sludge I was expecting to find.
Fave it all a wipe out and clean and refitted.
Still , problem persists.
It's running a bit smoother but still needs to idle for a few mins from cold before you can drive off.
So im now guessing g it's a sensor of some sort which is a dealer job?
I can do basic stuff but that's all certainly not a mechanic. Before I go to dealer for her is there anything easy to check first having ruled out the throttle body.

No need to find a dealer, I took it to our our local garage. But you do need to find one than can do Renault OBD diagnostics, so if it's a sensor they can diagnose it for you. They're not that difficult to fit yourself, so long as you know which one it is. I bought one of the universal OBD II readers and it didn't pick it up.

I had a 2003 1.4 Scenic a few years ago and the coil packs on those were a nightmare. Had to keep replacing them.

I kept a box full of spare ones for our 52 plate one :) but they don't give the symptoms Longy is experiencing when they go. He really needs to get it hooked up and the diagnostics run otherwise he could be changing things that don't have any faults.

I kept a box full of spare ones for our 52 plate one :) but they don't give the symptoms Longy is experiencing when they go. He really needs to get it hooked up and the diagnostics run otherwise he could be changing things that don't have any faults.
Yeah, when I hooked my laptop up to the OBD II port, the fault code indicated a mis-fire on cylinder number 3.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom