Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Renaming Tracks in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by hbuxton, Jul 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. hbuxton

hbuxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a HD5 owner so have to use SonicStage, but someone in this forum suggested a way of using iTunes to organise tracks before importing them into SonicStage. I thought that sounded a good idea, so that's what i'm doing.

However, I recently ripped some CDs without access to the Internet so could not get the track info. I've now tried renaming the tracks but whatever I do I can't get iTunes to recognise the new names, it insists on identifying the tracks as 'Track 1' etc. Renaming the files in Explorer and then importing them doesn't work :(

I could wait and rename the tracks when I get them in SonicStage, but it would be nice if the files had the correct names.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,428
    I have never had this problem with iTunes....

Beware though that SS and iTunes organise songs differently. iTunes stores songs in folders by artist while SS stores songs in folders by albums. Go to the relevant directories and see for yourself. All that means is that if you import music into SS libary not recored by SS, the songs fields will be messed up slightly....a pain

3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, that's correct, it won't work: mp3 files are named internally in a section within the file known as ID tags. If you just change the filenames and import them into iTunes (or any other mp3 library program), it will still look in the ID3 tags to re-name them as they were. That's just the way mp3 files work.

You need to change the filenames *inside* iTunes, so that the ID tags will be changed.

4. paulrwebster

paulrwebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Doesn't Adanced->Get CD Track Info within iTunes sort it out?

5. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only if the songs were ripped in iTunes. If not, iTunes won't allow it - something to do with preventing illegal downloads being used this way. The way the question was phrased by hbuxton led me to believe that iTunes wasn't used for the original rip.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,472
    As Micks Cat says, just change the track info in iTunes. Right click on the track and then click on Get Info, then click on the Info tab to change anything you want about the track. The good think about this bit is that if you start typing an artist or album, it will auto try and auto finish for you so it's not as daunting as it sounds. You can also highlight a whole bunch of tracks and change the artist/album names (but not the track name obviously) in one go.

7. hbuxton

hbuxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't rip the CDs in iTunes, but I was able to use <right-click> Get Info to change the track names - it was actually quite easy once I'd found that :) Thanks for your comments.