Renaming Inputs on Sony STR-DA1200ES

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cmulhere, Jan 3, 2007.

Tags:
  1. cmulhere

cmulhere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a STR-DA1200ES from RS before the £299.99 offer expires on 5th Jan.

I have a couple of questions which STR-DA1200ES owners might be able to help with:

Can you rename the inputs on the receiver?

For example:

I want to connect my Sonos ZP80 to the receiver, and would like to have 'Sonos' displayed on the receiver when this input is selected, rather than 'OPT1' or 'AUX1' or whatever naming function sony use.

I have tried to search for the online manual, but as discussed in other threads - there doesn't seem to be one!!

The second question probably doesn't belong here. but i'll ask on the offchance anyway...

I am thinking of partnering this receiver with a set of MS Avant Premiere Plus speakers. What do you think - any comments?

System will be used for 70% DVD 30% Music.

Any help or info greatly appreciated - Thanks

:lease:

2. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you can rename the inputs - I've renamed my "Video 1" to say "Wii" for the Nintendo, and "Video 2" is now named "PlayStn2" - makes it easier for the rest of the family to understand as well ;)

What was also quite cool was that you could swap the optical inputs around as well - don't need the feature myself but was quite cool that you could tell it to use the DVD Optical Input when your are on the TV/Sat input mode.

3. cmulhere

cmulhere
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Fedorov, it's very pleasing to know you change change the names!

Just out of interest how have you connected your Wii?

Mine will be via the (as supplied) composite lead then let the sony STRDA1200ES do its magic and send it to the Plasma via component.

Will this result in the same picture quality as if i were to buy one of the official Nintendo Wii component leads, or will the Wii component lead offer better picture quality? :confused:

Thanks again,

Chris

4. Fedorov

Fedorov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd have thought the Nintendo composite would lower the quality even if you let the Sony change you to component.

I bought a Component cable from GAME UK stores for 20 quid, superb quality, I bought a couple of long phono cables from Maplin so I could take the 2 audio's from the cable to the red/white video 1 inputs on the amp.