1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rename this Forum?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by binbag, Aug 15, 2005.

1. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Am I the only one that thinks we need to lose the 'TV' from the forum title? In my opinion it has descended from being a useful and focused place to online support for those who can't understand the User Manual of their latest purchase.

Either that or somebody who can state the facts correctly, but simply, needs to put up a sticky along the lines of; Don't understand your HDTV? Read this first! Although it is apparent from some of the posts that they have not spent any time trying to find the answer in the forum already.

Also it's obvious from reading some of the replies that we don't always help matters for those muddled fellows as we load them up with alternatives and conjecture and argument.

I honestly think it would be to everyones benefit.

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Name I think is okay, it attacts more people to come and visit, even if they are newbies who need their hand holding a bit at the start. You were perhaps a newbie once?

Are you offering to do the FAQ on HDTV?

Re alternative, conjecture, arguements, yes it is part of the debate but as usual there are far too many people answering on HD that don't actually use it, but that is common everywhere. I am happier if people who do use it answer even if they make the odd mistake rather than the theorists.

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Oh boy was I new once (anybody remember the DVI-I/D/A EVC P&D threads?) and it's not out of snobbery or boredom I started this - I think it would be to everyones benefit to keep this forum for the technology and leave the kit to their respective forums.

I could have a go at the sticky but I think it would be better coming from someone with a greater depth of knowledge. Heck, I haven't even got a flatscreen. Everything I know is from reading here and trying to wrangle a better picture via PC (too old) and scaler (still only upscaling) and lurking in big shops. I'll be HD ready when HD is ready for me :smashin:

This forum is about the future as much as about the present and the conjecture and argument is inevitable but often unhelpful to those that ARE seeking help.

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think we need to split everything into sections. TV (broadcast HD), Optical formats like Blu Ray and HD DVD, HD Panels (plasmas, LCDs and so on)

It might be early since none of these are even available in the UK yet. But once the time comes im sure the mods will be happy to start new threads for each one individualy.

5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    But we already have HD media players and we really need a forum for them e.g.

Showcenter 200
    Snazio 1350
    Avel Linkplayer 2
    Buffalo Techtheater
    Quartek
    Kiss etc...

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think a thread titled "HD players" would be suitable for these.
    Maybe a sub thread for Blu Ray and HD DVD once they come out.

Currently there are threads titled "Deonon" and "Arcam" which is where im sure people will go once these companies release their own Blu Ray and HD DVD players.

I would like to see a thread for "HD Amps" once they start coming out too.

TVs like LCD and Plasma already have their own threads but ALL panels (HD and non HD) are all put in the same section which i beleive only makes it harder to see the difference for beginers who are starting to learn about HD.

Not all plasmas and LCDs are HD ready! And even some that are labled as such, are actualy not. (lacking in resolution and/or conections)

It would be easyer for everyone if HD and SD equipment could be separated.

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Nope, disagree. Spliting everything will inevitably put off new members or casual lurkers from joining.
    It's fine as it is, and even could do with being reduced.
    Personally, I'd lump scalers with Hi-Def as the two go hand in hand so to speak.
    Next, I'd put Plasma and LCD together to form Flat panel TVs. All projectors would be next. CRT TVs would be separated from DVD/PVR/VCR.

If you have a problem with new members posting in the first sub forum that grabs their eye, what chance do you think they'll have with 12 sub forums to choose from?

It works mostly as is, so as per the old addage - fix not what's broken not. Too much choice is as bad as too little.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I still think having a section for HD stuff with all the sub topics (panels, amps, players, broadcast, even scalers) would be easyer to see.

At the moment all the stuff is mixed up and hard to spot. There is only one HD section where people can have a look.
    If somone is looking for information on HD stuff, then they would be looking for the letters "HD" bringing them to the current HD thread which doesnt cover HD displays or players properly.

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Yes, but readers are able to remember whether they are looking for a conventional TV or one of them new fancy slim ones! So, aside from which form of technology they are going to ultimately opt for, putting the LCD and Plasma (HD Ready and not) TVs into one sub forum will let them see all the threads and ask their relevant questions there.
    If you got your way, then someone else would want each brand to have their own sub forum, or someone else will want sub forums dedicated to a range of sizes of display. Where would it end?
    As it is, there's more than enough separation, and some of it could be amalgamated for ease of use.

Of course, if a posting is in the sub forum, then the moerators should be on the ball and move it correct one, with a post saying where it was moved to and locking it to prevent further postings. Keep it there (and state in the post) for 1 week, then delete it - giving most people sufficient time to see it's locked and moved.
    Pretty simple really.

10. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We need a 'General High Defintion/HDTV' forum where new kids can ask whatever they like. But we also need a HD players forum and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray forum (which will inevitably need splitting once they are released).

Lumping plasma and LCD together? You've got to be kidding. LCD and plasma have as much in common with each other as they do with CRT. Have you seen the number of threads created in these 2 forums? Why not just stick projectors in as well?

I believe that the High Definition TV name causes more trouble than its worth. New members see the title and ask about the new flat screen theyve seen. If each forum had a sub-heading that gave a quick summary then no one would have any excuses anyway. My understanding is that this forum should be used for chat regarding HD the format (resolutions, encryption etc) and HD content, such as Sky.

Its not a matter of streamlining (or even compromising) the forums just so new members know where to go....instead newbies should be given a quick tutorial thread on how to use the forums before they are let loose.

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    HD stuff is very different from regular SD stuff. So i still think these 2 topics should be divided.

Older plasmas, LCDs, pjs that arent HD should go in the SD section while newer HD equipment should be in the HD section.

There is a lot to learn about the difference between the 2. I think a tutorial would be a good way to guide people to the right section.

Eventually SD stuff will be phased out and HD will be the only stuff left in the market me thinks. If we wait long enough all we would have to do is rename all the current sections "HD"

12. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sorry to be the naysayer, but this forum does that already.
    In regard to HD media and their respective players/recorders, again, I see no true justification or argument that requires both formats to be split. They both are about the same thing - pre-recorded HD on a disc. That's it in a nutshell, everything else is superfluous to that end.

Because projectors are not direct view devices - not even RP ones. That's why. Plasma and LCD share enough similarities to warrant amalgamation and to have those types of displays in one forum where everyone interested in either technology can post and read the subject matter in hand without flitting back and forth between the two separate sub forums, as it currently stands.

Agreed - keep displays in their (current) respective sub forums and leave this one to discuss the technology behind HD in commercial recording/broadcast and pre-recorded forms.

And how would you propose to enforce such a "must read" tutorial thread. AFAIC, most new members or lurkers don't read the policy of the forums as is, which I'm sure has details on posting etiquette (see, I didn't even read it myself!), etc. What chance do you think you'll have of expecting them to read a tutorial? Any block to prevent them posting once registered will result in them clearing off, never to return, or if done like accepting a SW installation's T&Cs, they'll scroll to the bottom in 2 secs flat, click the enter/ok button, and well......the rest is as it is now. No further on, with someone's effort and hard work gone to waste.

As I mentioned before, the moderators could do with being more on the ball or employing another if they are under manned. It's the simplest solution in my book, and works a charm in many another forum I frequent.