Removing vocals from a track

Bill Hicks

Banned
Sorry I can't answer you're question but I've always wondered how DJ's remove vocals on a track when remixing without creating a big hole in the sound.

Unless they have access to the mastertapes I guess! :confused:

Iccz

A lot of people get the acapella direct - especially if they're doing an official remix they will often get a remix pack.

You can find acapellas on a lot of sites, not sure if i can mention them on here, i'll PM you one I use after I post this.

There is software for removing the backing track but avoid it, it leaves a lot of high end (often still hear the hats etc) and the vocal track becomes very tinny.

The best way to do it is if you can find a copy of the Instrumental and the Track (often released on vinyl) and then you can use software to lay them togerther so that the peaks are lined up and you can play them and it sounds right, invert either of the tracks and hey presto...

Since the wave form phase for the instrumental and original are exact opposites, they phase out each other and you are left with the vocals :thumbsup:

Bill Hicks

Banned
A lot of people get the acapella direct - especially if they're doing an official remix they will often get a remix pack.

You can find acapellas on a lot of sites, not sure if i can mention them on here, i'll PM you one I use after I post this.

There is software for removing the backing track but avoid it, it leaves a lot of high end (often still hear the hats etc) and the vocal track becomes very tinny.

The best way to do it is if you can find a copy of the Instrumental and the Track (often released on vinyl) and then you can use software to lay them togerther so that the peaks are lined up and you can play them and it sounds right, invert either of the tracks and hey presto...

Since the wave form phase for the instrumental and original are exact opposites, they phase out each other and you are left with the vocals :thumbsup:

Err? :rolleyes:

Zeromajor

It's a really bad way of doing it, you're left with either an instrumental with parts of the vocals in or an acapella with the instrumental partly audible.

Have you tried looking for an instrumental master of the song? There are load of sites that offer these for roughly the same price as a normal mp3. Beware the sites aimed primarily at musicians/teachers as they tend to charge more.

Also this should really be in the musicans corner :thumbsup:

Iccz

Sorry thought he was after the vocals *facepalm*

As Zero said there's no real way of doing so without it sounding bad. Best to find an official instrumental or to find an acapella and try phase out the vocals with that.

Last edited:

unique

i think he wants an instrumental version of the track

instrumental and sometimes acapella versions of tracks are sometimes released, sometimes only on promo only releases, so "mashups" are often done this way

mashups can also be done by looping just the instrumental sections of a track to form a new track

there are other methods that are more complicated that involve things that would just sound like a load of waffle if you don't know much about it, but these don't usually come out sounding too good

alternatively there are karaoke versions of a number of tracks available, which are pretty much instrumentals, with sometimes a bit of backing track, but not normally the original band playing. i think taylor swift has a karaoke version of her album that's the original music, and jay z released an acapella version of the black album, sometimes rappers will release instrumental versions of albums

H

Henry17

I did'nt even knew before reading this thread that there are softwares to do such jobs :)

technoman28

This is what you want, if you have the money, (around 1690euros), but it will suppress whatever you want in a sound file. Unless you have the original multi-track, you cannot remove any part, just suppress it, so you can't hear it as much.
Prosoniq Products Software GmbH

Most soundcards have an audio setup with Karaoke settings. Well my last 3 have anyway. It works OK, there is still a bit of the vocals left behind.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom