Removing the sticky stuff from steelbooks

Boba Fett

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quite a few of my steelbooks are arriving with the j-cards stuck to the steelbook, some seem to be removed easily, but some seem to leave sticky stuff on the steelbook

Can anyone share their tips on how they remove this stuff..??

Thanks in advance

It may seem like an odd suggestion but I have found that WD40 squirted onto a cloth will remove all types of sticky residue.
Try it on something unimportant first.

I always feel like a bleedin' salesman for WD-40 when these threads come up but it works for me on everything.
It doesn't harm the steelbook at all but if the glue is particularly thick, you're better off spraying it directly on to the steelbook itself (the affected area only obviously) , letting it dissolve the glue residue for 10 seconds and then wiping it clean with a soft cloth.
You can buy a small can for between £ 2-3 at ASDA etc.

I had the same problem a few months back and WD40 was recommended to me. At first I was a little sceptical, but it actually works! Listen to these guys. I use it everytime now. Oddly, I love the smell aswell. I`m not a glue/solvent abuser/nutjob, but it smells quite nice... like petrol. Anyway, WD40 for the win! :)

I always use nail polish remover on some cotton wool, a small rub should do it. This also works when removing sticky residue from slipcovers, especially if they are older releases or from CEX.

I always use nail polish remover on some cotton wool, a small rub should do it. This also works when removing sticky residue from slipcovers, especially if they are older releases or from CEX.

I used to do this but one time it actually removed paint from the edge of the Steelbook. I would say be very careful about using anything on your Steelbooks.

Isopropanol alcohol is very mild I seen it used on American comics to remove gunk left behind left by sticker and it not removed the ink.

Can be used to CDs, DVDs and Blu to clean them as well.

Last edited:
i dont use anything, just roll it off with my finger and leave it on the data sheet or j-card.
i keep them seperate anyway. for the older releases ive left too i dont dare remove the sheet (like with terminator salvation or star trek).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom