Removing LG 77” CX OLED from stand and wall mounting.

judethedude

I have an LG 77” CX that is currently mounted on the stand but I now want to mount onto the wall. I can fix the wall mounting brackets to the back of the TV while it is still on the stand but then obviously have to disconnect the TV from the stand to mount it on the wall. Can anyone that has previously done this please advise if I have to lay the TV flat to remove the stand or can I remove the four screws connecting the TV to the stand while the TV is still upright and then lift it off the stand and onto the wall. Thank you.

fluxedman

I have an LG 77” CX that is currently mounted on the stand but I now want to mount onto the wall. I can fix the wall mounting brackets to the back of the TV while it is still on the stand but then obviously have to disconnect the TV from the stand to mount it on the wall. Can anyone that has previously done this please advise if I have to lay the TV flat to remove the stand or can I remove the four screws connecting the TV to the stand while the TV is still upright and then lift it off the stand and onto the wall. Thank you.
I think its better to watch a few youtube videos on other guys doing it first, in this case in reverse since they are showing the stand being installed, so just do the same process but in reverse.

I recommend doing it flat, some use a bed (soft duvet on top), table or desk with soft towel on top, this way its safer and you can then move the tv towards your so the stand can simply hang off, so that way the TV is then totally flat, then you can get to work. Some use the actual TV box though.

Take your time when doing it, you may need 2 people since its a big TV, I recommend making sure all surfaces are screw or object free before putting the TV on also.

And please only do so if you are able and confident in DIY, if you are not please get someone to do the job.

judethedude

Thank you for the response Fluxedman. I was hoping to get away with having to lay the TV flat as I did that when installing the stand in the first place and, considering the TV’s size and percepted fragility, found the experience quite harrowing. The TV is currently sitting on a TV cabinet in front of the wall I’m now going to mount it on and so I was hoping I could just undo the four screws holding it to the base and lift it up straight up onto the wall. I’ve wall mounted plenty of TV’s in the past but none quite so big as the 77” CX which seems so fragile.

fluxedman

Yeah I think I can see where you are coming from @ 77" it would scare any one.

I think its 4 screws are on the under side plate of the stand so its forcing you somewhat to turn it on the side, I think even if you got say 2 guys to lift it while you undid the screws underneath that is pretty risky, you would need 2 strong guys for one to hold each side up and to make sure the existing brackets are already mounted on the back of the TV.

Just an idea but imo too risky, given the size and price tag. Its also not recommended to hold onto the actual side thin glass part of the outer screen, although I see people still do it off ytube.

Another way is if you had one of those cantilever tv wall mounts that extend well outwards from the wall, that way you can just mount it on the bracket with the stand and remove it safely underneath.

They really have not made the back bezel of these LG OLEDs well, with some form of grip, handle or notch but there is one notch on one side if I recall right off my CX.

5to1

Thank you for the response Fluxedman. I was hoping to get away with having to lay the TV flat as I did that when installing the stand in the first place and, considering the TV’s size and percepted fragility, found the experience quite harrowing. The TV is currently sitting on a TV cabinet in front of the wall I’m now going to mount it on and so I was hoping I could just undo the four screws holding it to the base and lift it up straight up onto the wall. I’ve wall mounted plenty of TV’s in the past but none quite so big as the 77” CX which seems so fragile.

If you have a couple of people that can help and hold each side of the TV, you could probably do it without laying it flat.

If you look through the video's some people plonk it on the stand then screw it in. Ultimately you're doing the same but in reverse, so its clearly no impossible.

I can't say which approach would pose the least risk. My guess would be, given your TV is right where it needs to be, probably less risk in just unscrewing and lifting it onto the wall mount. As I suspect moving it around poses the biggest point of risk.

judethedude

If you have a couple of people that can help and hold each side of the TV, you could probably do it without laying it flat.

If you look through the video's some people plonk it on the stand then screw it in. Ultimately you're doing the same but in reverse, so its clearly no impossible.

I can't say which approach would pose the least risk. My guess would be, given your TV is right where it needs to be, probably less risk in just unscrewing and lifting it onto the wall mount. As I suspect moving it around poses the biggest point of risk.
Yeah I think I can see where you are coming from @ 77" it would scare any one.

I think its 4 screws are on the under side plate of the stand so its forcing you somewhat to turn it on the side, I think even if you got say 2 guys to lift it while you undid the screws underneath that is pretty risky, you would need 2 strong guys for one to hold each side up and to make sure the existing brackets are already mounted on the back of the TV.

Just an idea but imo too risky, given the size and price tag. Its also not recommended to hold onto the actual side thin glass part of the outer screen, although I see people still do it off ytube.

Another way is if you had one of those cantilever tv wall mounts that extend well outwards from the wall, that way you can just mount it on the bracket with the stand and remove it safely underneath.

They really have not made the back bezel of these LG OLEDs well, with some form of grip, handle or notch but there is one notch on one side if I recall right off my CX.
Thanks again for the response. I like your idea of the cantilever mount as, although I wanted the TV to be quite flush to the wall, it would certainly save all the hassle and trepidation of laying the TV on a flat surface to remove the stand.

judethedude

Thank you for the post 5to1. From what I remember when fixing the TV to the stand, the stand screws onto the back of the TV rather than the TV sitting onto the stand (via a slot in the TV base) and then being secured by the four screws. So I’m thinking that if the TV was upright and the four screws removed, the TV would just drop down/forward ! I’d like to think I was wrong as your suggestion would be the easiest way to do it but I’m not sure I’d like to give it a try without knowing 100% that the TV wouldn’t budge with the four screws removed.

5to1

Thank you for the post 5to1. From what I remember when fixing the TV to the stand, the stand screws onto the back of the TV rather than the TV sitting onto the stand (via a slot in the TV base) and then being secured by the four screws. So I’m thinking that if the TV was upright and the four screws removed, the TV would just drop down/forward ! I’d like to think I was wrong as your suggestion would be the easiest way to do it but I’m not sure I’d like to give it a try without knowing 100% that the TV wouldn’t budge with the four screws removed.

In that case it’s risky. Even if it does sit on the stand I’d want two people to hold it.

Cantilever mount is a good idea. Would help with changing cables and if you ever need to remove the set. If you can live with it being a few cm further from the wall

fluxedman

Am trying to recall how that CX stand was since its been a year ago I had it, but I think that was the weird and funky thing about the stand, it almost just sat upwards on the actual stand, so if one was to unscrew the screws from the stand the TV would fall flat forwards, not unless you have 2-3 people holding it left, right and centre.

I prefer the flush wall mount option also, id guess its still possible but again you need 2-3 strong guys to lift it up while someone does all the unscrewing underneath, not the safest position to be in but probably possible.

The Wall mount I was thinking off is this type :

Amazon product
So those 2 brackets bars on the left of the picture, would usually be screwed on the back of the TV set, then you simply lift and place those hinges on the cantilever wall mount while its fully extended out, safe and sound and easy removal of stand underneath.

Maybe another option is the floor to wall stand ?

Amazon product
another one:
floor to tv stand

tbf I find the wall mounts lovely when its done, but have run into some issues going back from OLED to Samsung LED regarding height and position of TV, I am now thinking of some DIY job to simply make a massive hole in the wall big enough to hold any TV brand with its stand or a 3rd party stand, I believe its called a recessed TV point/mount:

But you can also get recessed wall mounts which act similar so its even more closer to the wall. just something of perhaps interest.

judethedude

In that case it’s risky. Even if it does sit on the stand I’d want two people to hold it.

Cantilever mount is a good idea. Would help with changing cables and if you ever need to remove the set. If you can live with it being a few cm further from the wall
Risky indeed and so I’ve bought a cantilever mount as I also have a Philips Hue Gradient strip light mounted behind the TV and so access behind theTV will be easy should I ever need it. Thank you for your input 5to1 :smashin:

judethedude

Am trying to recall how that CX stand was since its been a year ago I had it, but I think that was the weird and funky thing about the stand, it almost just sat upwards on the actual stand, so if one was to unscrew the screws from the stand the TV would fall flat forwards, not unless you have 2-3 people holding it left, right and centre.

I prefer the flush wall mount option also, id guess its still possible but again you need 2-3 strong guys to lift it up while someone does all the unscrewing underneath, not the safest position to be in but probably possible.

The Wall mount I was thinking off is this type :

Amazon product
So those 2 brackets bars on the left of the picture, would usually be screwed on the back of the TV set, then you simply lift and place those hinges on the cantilever wall mount while its fully extended out, safe and sound and easy removal of stand underneath.

Maybe another option is the floor to wall stand ?

Amazon product
another one:
floor to tv stand

tbf I find the wall mounts lovely when its done, but have run into some issues going back from OLED to Samsung LED regarding height and position of TV, I am now thinking of some DIY job to simply make a massive hole in the wall big enough to hold any TV brand with its stand or a 3rd party stand, I believe its called a recessed TV point/mount:

But you can also get recessed wall mounts which act similar so its even more closer to the wall. just something of perhaps interest.
As mentioned above, I’ve now ordered a cantilever mount as I don’t really have a problem with the TV sitting a couple of inches out from the wall as access behind the TV as & when necessary is a plus for me. Thank you for your input Fluxedman, you solved my problem with the cantilever stand for sure :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom