Removing and storing a CRT

gpender

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had no luck with certain retailers getting back to me so I'm going to have to do this myself......

My situation is that I'm moving house and I need to remove my Sony VPH-1292 from it's home on the ceiling and then find a means of storing it for a long period of time...(2 years ish?)

So how do I go about it and what will I need for the removal?.....
Will the unit be o.k not being used for such a period of time and does anybody have any tips for storing a CRT for this length of time?....

Any help or advice will be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
Greg

Hi Greg, the main thing to remember when storing your crt is to avoid damp at all costs, extreme cold is not a problem but damp...it's a killer.

One thing you could do before you finally power it down is make sure you shut the 1292 down before you switch the source of, (as should alway's be done) that way you will drain and dissapate any energy in the tube.

Lifter's can be hired for around £60.00 from any local HSS hire shop.

If I can be of any further assistence give me a shout....what part of the country are you in?

James

Thanks for that James.... :thumbsup:

I'm in Kentish Town in London.

The storage space I have in mind is a large converted "stable" typebuilding at the bottom of my inlaws garden. It's secure enough and should be fairly damproof as it was previously used as a workshop.....I might look into flight casing it aswell too allow easier transportation and hopefully that should add further protection from damp....

I use a HTPC as my source and I usually shut this down first and then turn the PJ off.....is this really bad?...I figured that this would be the best way to shutdown as, in my head, I presumed the tubes firing out colours one moment and then nothing the next might be detramental to their health. i.e my shutdown procedure was the reverse to the start up...i.e a warm down if you like?

Cheers again
Greg

James,

You raise a point about shutting down and discharging the tubes. Thought I'd chip in just to query further for safetys sake. Thing is I'm doing some basic fault finding and am thinking of checking the neck boards over next. Just worried about a charge left in the tubes when I come to remove the neck boards. Will shutting down as you describe be enough to discharge the tubes fully or should the tubes be discharged manually from the anode with suitable equipment before attempting to remove the neck boards?

Any advice appreciated,

Simon

Yes this will indeed generally drain the tubes down nicely, just as it should be, just think for a moment how your regular crt tv set does this, it is dissapating the energy. You should really always take the HT wire to a ground but I have never not once found them holding a charge if drained in this fashion.

It's a nice habit to get into though.

James

Thanks James for the reassurance. It is something I do every time I switch off my pj on the good advice of people in this forum - just wondered if it was enough to make the tubes safe to take to bits. Thanks for the confirmation!

Simon

DONT put it in a sealed bag - these often get damp inside and condensation, mould etc even if you think it is sealed. there is always moisture in the air.

pack some silica gel sachets in there, keep a check on it every 3 months.

WHEN YOU COME TO UNPACK IT......

Leave it to settle to room temp for many hours - longer the better.

Switch mode psu's (if it has one) dont like a cold start, I have found in the past the use a massive on "rush" current if very cold.

at room temp it wont collect condensation.

Hope that is of some help.

your gonna miss it........

Thanks MadMrH,

I know the silica Gel sachets come with everything, but obviously I always dump them straight away. Where could I buy some from?

You're right I am going to miss it massively, but at least I can put my self at ease knowing it will be there when I'm ready to move again....plasma land awaits...ohhhhhh noooooooo

O.K I've finally got to do this..........and this week :rolleyes:

I went to the hire shop yesterday and the only suitable lift seemed to be a genie lift but this looked massive?

My main concern now is, because the projector is mounted upside down, won't it crush it's self under it's own weight when I lift the forks under it?
i.e the forks that I'm raising up to it will be pushing up to the top of the projector surely this part is fairly fragile........

also is the projector weighted evenly....my concern here is, if it's really heavy at the back part I've got visions of it slipping of the back of the forks......

I'm petrified about doing this so any last words of encouragement gratefully recieved ;)

Hi,

REMOVE the lenses thats the easy bit and at high risk of damage to tubes or lenses and easy to scratch.

The HEAVY end without question is the tube end.

use DEEP foam padding - even a pillow between pj and the forks this will help even the load over the case.

Any boards you can remove will also lower the weight.

"GENIE" hoists come in many different types - the gas lift type as used by many but need VERY careful watchful eyes all the time,

The winch type are much heavier duty but you may not get into your house....

Best of luck......

The hire shop have the winch type Genie lift....The Pjs on he ground floor so I think I'll be able to get the lift in the house alright.....

I'm giving this ago this afternoon so wish me luck!

I'm probably too late, but here's a couple of pics of my 1292 on it's way up.

Used a pallet as you can see to keep it from slipping between the forks, and used a couple of pillows to cushion it and spread the load:

Pic08.jpg
[/IMG]

Pic09.jpg

One of my friends operating the winch. Will be a good idea to have at least one to help you.

If you have already done it, I hope it all went well !!

Regards,
Erling

Erling- What can I say, you're an amazing help as always :smashin:

.........................but............................

I tried this on Wednesday as planned but it all went horribly wrong when the hire shop delivered the Genie which wouldn't even get through the door to my house! Despite an explanation of what I was trying to do....despite an explanation of the dimensions of the PJ and my doors....and despite a reasurrance from the hire shop that the genie lift they had would be perfect it all went very pearshaped :mad:

......................so what do you do...............

Well chaps I'll tell you what to do, phone Henry and James of CRT projectors :thumbsup:

James was round the following morning and had me back on track in no time.
Never have I dealt with a more knowledgable, friendly, efficient person in all my life.
James literally came around at the drop of a hat to safe a very desperate situation..(I'm moving out of my house today!)
Folks, unlike the other pretenders to the crown that I've dealt with on this forum, James is the real deal and I'd insist you use his services in the future.

James- Thanks again mate, you really did save my bacon and I hope the London traffic didn't treat you too badly getting home. Looking forward to 6 months time when you can stick her back up for me! :smashin:

also thanks to everyone else that contributed to helping me out of my sticky situation. :)

Greg, glad to hear that it all worked out - have been wondering from time to time how you were doing, but didn't get round to write an email.

Shame though that you have to put away the 1292 for now; hope you get the opportunity to use it again soon.

Cheers,
Erling

gpender said:
......................so what do you do...............

Well chaps I'll tell you what to do, phone Henry and James of CRT projectors :thumbsup:

James was round the following morning and had me back on track in no time.
Never have I dealt with a more knowledgable, friendly, efficient person in all my life.
James literally came around at the drop of a hat to safe a very desperate situation..(I'm moving out of my house today!)
Folks, unlike the other pretenders to the crown that I've dealt with on this forum, James is the real deal and I'd insist you use his services in the future.

James- Thanks again mate, you really did save my bacon and I hope the London traffic didn't treat you too badly getting home. Looking forward to 6 months time when you can stick her back up for me! :smashin:

also thanks to everyone else that contributed to helping me out of my sticky situation. :)

Good to hear you got sorted. James will always help if he can and is a top guy.

I'm looking forward to him getting my projector finished off this Thursday. Should have been last thursday, but an emergency job came up... ;)

Cheers Rob.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom