• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remove operator firmware on S3

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Absolutely, that's what I did and very many others here.

Just head over to xda ([Stock Official Firmwares] I9300XXBLG8 (4.0.4) - United Kingdom (BTU) [27-07-12] - xda-developers). Download the firmware and flash with ODIN as instructed. Watch a few Youtube vids as well if you want to make triply sure you're not going to mess anything up. Very easy to do and does not require root.

Also look at the post when it talks about CSC. You will need your CSC to be BTU (I think the firmware on that thread is, indeed, BTU) if you want to receive OTA updates or to be able to update via Kies.

HTH.

AcademicBarzo

Prominent Member
Storvay said:
Absolutely, that's what I did and very many others here.

Just head over to xda ([Stock Official Firmwares] I9300XXBLG8 (4.0.4) - United Kingdom (BTU) [27-07-12] - xda-developers). Download the firmware and flash with ODIN as instructed. Watch a few Youtube vids as well if you want to make triply sure you're not going to mess anything up. Very easy to do and does not require root.

Also look at the post when it talks about CSC. You will need your CSC to be BTU (I think the firmware on that thread is, indeed, BTU) if you want to receive OTA updates or to be able to update via Kies.

HTH.

I thought you has to unlock the phone first - is this incorrect? I'm with O2 on a contract, so am not wanting to change provider, but instead want to be able to get stock Samsung firmware updates (rather than wait for 02).

On a different but related note, when I enter *#7465625# to check on lock status or *1234# to check versions, I get this message:
Connection problem or invalid MMI code.

Any ideas?

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Sorry, didn't consider if it was unlocked or locked. Mine (and many others) received branded phones which were, in fact, already unlocked. I could very well be wrong but I thought that it was possible to flash a stock firmware but this would have no effect on the lock status.

Re. the codes:

The first one should be *#1234#

The second one no longer works on my phone - I get the same message, maybe it's a firmware thing?

Jakks

Established Member
Im with 3 and this is what I did over the weekend, after this method you will not have any 3 branding on the phone just the default UK firmware

You can find the links to download the firmware over at the XDA forums

Jakks said:
I've successfully flashed mine and it's works a treat

I was on the 3 branded I9300XXALF2 Build Date: 5 June 2012 so i downloaded the stock I9300XXBLG6 Build Date: 20 July 2012 and flashed it via Odin then once rebooted changed my CSC from H3G to BTU, finally loaded up kies and was prompted to update to I9300XXBLG8 Build Date: 26 July

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom