Remove iPad sleep button?

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Hey,

So I've had enough of my iPad sleep button not working when pushed. . . .instead it puts itself to sleep mid type/ mid use. . Then you slide to unlock and it brings up the slide to power off button.

It happened three months after apple replaced my original due to fault, which meant it was then out of warranty. So my three month old iPad has been broken a while and I've decided to rip the sleep button out haha.

Anyone know if it can be done?

Personally I'd take the replacement back and tell them you're having problems.

I'd be surprised if they didn't replace it.

This was last year. They offered me a replacement for a couple of hundred pounds. :(

If an appliance does not function as it was intended, it does not matter if the warranty has expired. There is an expectation that electrical good should last for a couple of years at least and perform as they were meant to. Take it back and make a right old noise about it and don't leave until they replace it. This applies only if you have not caused the fault yourself byt dropping it, etc. so if it looks as new, stand your ground. It is not 'fit for purpose' as an iPad.

Whilst I agree with going back to Apple, making a "right old noise" is hardly the approach to have. Going in and explaining politely is surely the best way to sort these things out. You can be assertive without kicking off!

^^ This.

I've always found the staff in Apple stores to be great regarding this sort of thing as long as you don't go in all guns blazing. Just be polite, explain the problem and your disappointment that you can't use the product properly, and hope for the best.

I'm going to offer an alternative option. Many problems are software related and the sleep button issue may be software related.

Before going to the apple store I would try a full restore. But don't restore from a backup as a backup can carry over bugs from previous ipad.
Do a restore as new ipad and start afresh using ipad from new for a few days. If the issue still occurs after a few days of fresh use then it is likely a hardware issue and then go to apple to sort it out.

Also that is extra info for the apple store you can tell them you try a restore and it not fixed it, that is a pointer there is something inside at fault rather than software which is easily fixable.

Also that is extra info for the apple store you can tell them you try a restore and it not fixed it, that is a pointer there is something inside at fault rather than software which is easily fixable.
And possibly saves you a return trip as they may well suggest you do it before going any further!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom