• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remove game specific subforums ?

Which Subforums can now make way for new games ?

• Total voters

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Ok, we have tried and failed a couple of times to establish which game subforums have had their day and can now be retired to Play & Help threads. Lets run this poll for a week and see if we can finally this time establish what can make way. One vote each on the poll and then discuss your decisions here if needed. A new poll for possible replacements can be run next week but it wouldn't hurt for people to nominate forthcoming titles here :smashin:

Last edited:

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
As mentioned before I think sub-forums might be easier to navigate is they were for example:

Driving games
Rhythm games
Fighting games
Shooting games

Etc and so forth...

The Fuggler

Very tempted to say all of the above, but went for Burnout in the end (fully expect to see a new section when a new title is available).

Not sure whether there is much need for new games to be given sub-forums at this point? Could make a case for Uncharted I guess or possibly FIFA (World Cup version incoming and all that), but I'd be looking for games that have more than one titles in the series to really warrant a sub-forum. Otherwise, there shouldn't be more than one or two threads for any new titles.

BTW, any chance you could stop mucking about with threads in this forum and let us know about your 770s in the headphone thread or are you climbing the walls waiting for Mr UPS to arrive?! :D

The Fuggler

As mentioned before I think sub-forums might be easier to navigate is they were for example:

Driving games
Rhythm games
Fighting games
Shooting games

Etc and so forth...

Got a feeling that this has been discussed by the mods before and is not being encouraged. Can't remember why off the top of my head. Probably makes searching and tagging easier if it is specific game titles.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
BTW, any chance you could stop mucking about with threads in this forum and let us know about your 770s in the headphone thread or are you climbing the walls waiting for Mr UPS to arrive?! :D

I left them with Faye to post back yesterday but she missed the post office (only do half days on wednesdays i think) so best I can hope for is they get them tomorrow and dispatch the 770s for a saturday delivery. So yes.........climbing the walls :rotfl:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer

Driving games
Rhythm games
Fighting games
Shooting games

Etc and so forth...

Agreed, that system would be so much easier to navigate.

Got a feeling that this has been discussed by the mods before and is not being encouraged. Can't remember why off the top of my head. Probably makes searching and tagging easier if it is specific game titles.

AFAIK Stuart himself has said he doesn't want genre grouped subforums.

The Fuggler

I left them with Faye to post back yesterday but she missed the post office (only do half days on wednesdays i think) so best I can hope for is they get them tomorrow and dispatch the 770s for a saturday delivery. So yes.........climbing the walls :rotfl:

Gutted. Jen won't go near a post office, so I know that I'm on my own when it comes to sending things back.

I'll combust if I wait until Saturday to hear whether they are any good or not, so I'll get them ordered this afternoon (250 version for me) and hope they show up at home tomorrow when she is out swimming with the boy! :devil:

Adcook

Distinguished Member
I voted for burnout but for me all those 4 with the exception of KZ could be removed. I agree only games with numerous versions or a yearly title release should need a subforum. Perhaps the remaining subforms could be done into types of threads, such as a sub-forum for just play and help, there is already one for just preview threads.

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
What you think about having a social group for each game and linking to those from the gaming forum?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
What you think about having a social group for each game and linking to those from the gaming forum?

We have clan threads for that but occasionally that evolves to social groups. The options listed in the poll haven't been properly used in about 6months as they are all very old games.

phairplay

Distinguished Member
How about a MODNATION racing and Final Fantasy XIII Sub thread :thumbsup:

I think all of them have had their day

SteveG

Voted all of them, they're yesterdays news :D

Would like to see a music/band forum to cover Singstar, Rock Band, Guitar hero, DJ Hero etc

Del Boy Smiffy

Distinguished Member
All of the above from me.

And great suggestion for a Modnation one, the game is gonna be huge.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
So far so good. Dropping all four and replacing with:

MAG
Modnation Racers
Heavy Rain ?
Final Fantasy XIII ?

feaviolp

MAG
Modnation Racers
Heavy Rain ?
Final Fantasy XIII ?

Really want one for Heavy Rain? Obviously not played the game yet but from the sound of it I'd have thought a play & help thread would be enough. I think the sub-forums are best for games with, say, many online variations etc. that can be discussed which I didn't think applied to Heavy Rain (might be wrong though).

Personally I'm firmly in the camp of thinking genre based sub-forums being the way to go, with music/rhythm being a great idea.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Really want one for Heavy Rain? Obviously not played the game yet but from the sound of it I'd have thought a play & help thread would be enough. I think the sub-forums are best for games with, say, many online variations etc. that can be discussed which I didn't think applied to Heavy Rain (might be wrong though).

Personally I'm firmly in the camp of thinking genre based sub-forums being the way to go, with music/rhythm being a great idea.

I'm just putting it out there to be honest. Totally agree that games with online Muliplayer warrant the subforums most.

RevanClaw

Problem about genre specific is when you get titles which could be in either!

Is Uncharted action or adventure? or both? Or a Shooting Game?

I would say take out Burnout defo, then perhaps MGS!:D

Adcook

Distinguished Member
Maybe a subforum for the Battlefield series, with BC2 due soon and the rumours of DLC for 1943.

Del Boy Smiffy

Distinguished Member

MAG
Modnation Racers
Heavy Rain ?
Final Fantasy XIII ?
Don't think all are needed tbh.

Modnation is a defo

Mag/FF13/Heavy Rain - just see how popular they are 1st i think.

I recon a Sports sub forum would be good, clear things up too.:thumbsup:

kopchoir

Banned
Voted all of the above its about time the place got freshened up

Heavy Rain
GOW 3
MAG
MODNATION
FFXIII

Will also attract more visitors to the ps3 forums than burnout killzone gta etc
just copy the 360 forums IMO it works really well

Could just be the year of the ps3 :thumbsup:

stormy

I'm just putting it out there to be honest. Totally agree that games with online Muliplayer warrant the subforums most.

I don't think GTA should be dropped especially now that the Episodes from Liberty City are coming to PS3 in March.

Driving games
Rhythm games
Fighting games
Shooting games

Etc and so forth...

That seems much better, I think the way the games forum is laid out at the moment is pretty poor. :(

Adcook

Distinguished Member
I don't think GTA should be dropped especially now that the Episodes from Liberty City are coming to PS3 in March.

I dont think that is going to generate that much interest, the ship has sailed for most people, including me. I dont think it needs anything more than a preview and a play & help thread. Theres some other top games coming out this year that will generate far more interest.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Voted all of the above.

Although i cant wait for it and will have plenty to talk about.... about it. I dont think FF13 needs a sub forum. I think a play and help should be enough. No online mode so it will all just be about the single player which doesnt change much.

As previously i would see how busy the MAG thread gets. Same with Heavy Rain and GOW.

I would only put MP games into Sub forums. As Mp can last quite a long time thread wise compared to a single player game which just slowly dies out.

MODNation is a must tho. That will have alot of chat going in there.

All IMO of course. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom