Removal of HDD from Buffalo DriveStation 2.0TB

RusHaw

Standard Member
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right forum but I'm hoping someone out there might be able to help:lease: I bought a 2TB Buffalo DriveStation about 5 weeks ago to back-up the data from my failing PC and laptop. Everything worked fine and I managed to get the data onto the DriveStation. Then my PC failed. Not to worry I thought, I have it on my Buffalo, I'll just copy it from the Buffalo to my aging laptop just to be on the safe side, so I have it in 2 places at once. But now my Buffalo won't work :eek:. Ive been in touch with Buffalo who have said they'll send me a replacement when I send back the broken drive (they've already replaced the power unit and USB cable with no joy and I've tried the device on other machines). I asked what would happen to the HDD in the broken drive and they said they'd bin it. I said if they were going to bin it anyway couldn't I keep it and they could send me a replacemnt and I could try swapping the HDD's to get a working unit - in the knowledge that doing so would invalidate my warranty. They said no. I had to return the unit to get a replacement and my HDD and data would be destroyed. Anyway, long story short, Amazon have sent me a replacement unit but I'm having some difficulty getting the drive apart. I have found that it has the tinyest of (what seems to be) hexagonal screws under one of the foot pads but I don't have anything to get it open with. Anyone have any experience of opening a 2TB Buffalo DriveStation they can share with me? I have a feeling I'm going to have to break it open and Amazon will therefore bill me for a new unit when I send back a broken one to them but even if I open it I'm not sure if it's just going to be a standard SATA drive I can plug into the other drive anyway or if it's going to be impossible to remove once I get in there :confused: Anyone have any experience I can draw from?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom