• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remoting the 360?

blert596

I am hopefully going to be moving my AV gear, including the 360 into a closet and operating it all remotely through a Harmony 895.

I know the 895 RF will work through the walls, but what I'm wondering is how do I actually play the 360 remotely?

I don't know of any way to do it with the wireless ones I have now, and dont really see how it can be done.

I cant find any information on extension cables to use the wired controller.

Ideally, there would be a way that doesn't involve having more cabling being laid.

As always, any help appreciaed

tomd84

I am hopefully going to be moving my AV gear, including the 360 into a closet and operating it all remotely through a Harmony 895.

I know the 895 RF will work through the walls, but what I'm wondering is how do I actually play the 360 remotely?

I don't know of any way to do it with the wireless ones I have now, and dont really see how it can be done.

I cant find any information on extension cables to use the wired controller.

Ideally, there would be a way that doesn't involve having more cabling being laid.

As always, any help appreciaed
The wireless controllers should work though the cubord. I can use it from downstairs in my house its good a good range

Desmo

Distinguished Member
The wireless controllers will just work, they don't need line of sight so will work through walls. I can use mine outside or upstairs and it still controls the 360.

Volkodlak

Yeah as said before me for the wireless controllers.
But if you plan on using the Media Remote you've got to have line of sight with the console.

Also word of advise... If you're moving it into a closet make sure it has an open back otherwise it will fry :rolleyes:

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
Also word of advise... If you're moving it into a closet make sure it has an open back otherwise it will fry :rolleyes:

Good tip... you're asking for trouble if you keep your 360 in an enclosed space. Both the console and power supply need good air flow around them.

blert596

Thanks for all the replies - very handy.

I'm hoping to get an open rack, and the kit will go in an under the stairs closet that has a fair bit of space around. I may get a fan in there if needed though.

The next question is...

I'll probably go for a Harmony 895 (or if I can get a cheaper 890). I know its RF so no worries there, and I know it will give me the controls I want. But I'm unsure as to how it actually works.

Is the conversion from RF to IR done in the extender? And I presume an extender comes as part of the pack?

Would that mean I'd need a socket to plug the extender in, inside the closet? (Jus tryint to work out the best way to getthe power requirement layout sorted prior to going ahead). If the extender is actually inside the closet then thee should be no need for any IR remotes I presume - subject to it being visible to all the remote sensors on the kit.

As a last bit of confirmation (I only have my BD30 connected via the 605 at the moment) I think I can route the 360 component and Optical through the 605 and to the TV via the HDMI out port. Same for the Sky+ (SVHS and TOS).

And lastly... :)

My 360 premium came with the HD component connectors and the composite leads which wasnt a probem when I just had it wired via the HTIB I had (Aux in only gave stereo out) but now I'm wondering do I need to get a new 360 lead with the optical cable attached to get 5.1 to the 605?. Any recomendations for getting one cheaply if I need one. An extra £40 I could do withot really.

Any recommendations for a rack? Preferably as cheap as can be done but has to be able to hold the kit in my sig. Is it worth getting an expensive one or would a bog standard Ikea job do. Bear in mind I'm looking at viewing in a lounge here that is far from ideal for accoustics so the racks "performance" apart from holding the kit isnt an issue.

Thanks for any further help

cassius76

optical cables... cheap as chips. I get mine from here

That's assuming that the 360 connector has an optical out socket though.

My official VGA cable has the optical out socket.

I use a cabinet from IKEA! No worries there. As everyone has said though.. AIR FLOW is important. can't stress that highly enough.

blert596

I use a cabinet from IKEA! No worries there. As everyone has said though.. AIR FLOW is important. can't stress that highly enough.

Just ordered a Toslink and a Svid lead for my Sky+.

Unfortunately, the 360 doesn't come with a optical out connecion, so to get the 5.1 it looks like I need to buy a ripoff dedicated AV lead. Approx £40 :mad: I dont think I was offered a choice what type I wanted when I bought the 360 either.

Will have a look at the Ikea range for what I want. Like I say it'll be hidden away so not really bothered about the looks - but would prefer something stacked, that can take the weight and height of the 605.

blert596

Just ordered a Toslink and a Svid lead for my Sky+.

Unfortunately, the 360 doesn't come with a optical out connecion, so to get the 5.1 it looks like I need to buy a ripoff dedicated AV lead. Approx £40 :mad: I dont think I was offered a choice what type I wanted when I bought the 360 either.

Will have a look at the Ikea range for what I want. Like I say it'll be hidden away so not really bothered about the looks - but would prefer something stacked, that can take the weight and height of the 605.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately, the 360 doesn't come with a optical out connecion.
Are you using the Component or VGA cable? They both have an optical out on the back of the main plug section :)

blert596

Are you using the Component or VGA cable? They both have an optical out on the back of the main plug section :)

Well, how thick do I feel now :D

Many thanks Desmo. It never even occurred to me to look at the end of the connector. I just presumed that there was different types of lead - one for Optical and one with normal RCA connections.

Well, you have saved me a few quid there mate :thumbsup:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Well, how thick do I feel now :D
(============================================================================) This thick? :D

It's not that obvious they're there unless you know it or notice it :)
Glad I could help.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom