Remote that works with Pace Cable box

NeilMcRae

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Those bozos at Pace use IRDA instread of normal RF/IR remote codes. Has any of the programable remotes been able to work around this?

Neil.

my marantz rc5000i works with my pace ntl digital box and the pronto do ,
but it depends on what model box you have i think mine is 1400

I am using a Pronto with my Pace ntl digital box. Try contacting http://www.letsautomate.com/ for some assistance. I bought my Pronto there because there customer service was fantastic. I sent some questions in an email and they got back to me in about 20 minutes!

Pace built boxes for Telewest digital and c&w (now part of ntl) with irda. This is down to telewest specing them like that, rather than pace though.

I am in the same boat as I have t/w dig.

Call them up and ask for a replacement STB (either the 4000 or 4001N). When they ask why tell them it's because the current one doesn't work with your multi function remote.

If they start telling you none of them do, state a few facts like the 4000 / 4001N does work (.ccf files from www.remotecentral.com). Then tell them if they don't change it you'll go to sky (BT for broadband).

Mine's being changed next friday, now I just need to get a pronto :D

For me NTL, but I believe TeleWest customers have had similar success. I got a lot of the info from remote central.

I've also got an iPaq PDA with some TV remote software (www.pdawin.com) programmed with the pace info. Cost me $20 (already had an iPaq for work) instead of over £150, just waiting fro the box to turn up now and I'll let you know how I get on.

BTW, I also have dealings with PACE through work, the IrDA comes up in conversation a lot, and it's had a lot of negative feedback........

I've had mine a year now, so I will give them a ring. Thanks for the heads up.

An iPaq works fine with the software, but the big problem is that the ir tranmitter is very weak compared to a remote. You end up being stuck with having to aim perfectly from a shortish distance - which is not a lot of use. However, there has been discussion of an ir booster that sorts that probelm. do a search in this forum on ipaq and you should turn it up.

hth

I've ordered an IR booster from www.myelectricdog.com

They were linked from the PDAWin website, cost 30 quid delivered & fits in the compact flash slot, so for about £45 I should have a reasonable remote. I can get it to work from about 8ft at the moment, but it's not enough for my environment (need 20ft min)

Jason

Jason S

I've also been using tv remote controller 5.1 + electric dog CF IR extender on iPaq 3850.
Everything works well from turning on my Plus U31080 on with a single button press to dimming the lights:cool: .
My only problem now is the effing Pace 4000 box has refused to respond to: tv guide,ok,menu and direction buttons:mad: . I'm using telewest in North London and have tried all the CCFs from remote central. I've reset the box several times thinking the bar$tards cunningly sent new software to my box without any luck.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Is it me, telewest, the box, iPaq or TV remote controller software?
I really am at the end of my tether since everything worked perfectly with my pronto 2MB.
At least I can change channels and have a power button :( .

My box is being replaced on friday morning, I've asked for a 4001 for the audio outs, but essentially it should be the same. Once it's in I'll try out the other buttons and post the results. I've downloaded all the pace ccf's from Remote Central so hope one of them will work OK.

Jason

Kav A

Had the box installed about 30 mins ago, and have exactly the same problems as you do, Channel +/- and numbers all work, but none of the others. The box was updated on first connection so I never got to try it before.

A bit of a pain because I liked to use the TV button to check other channels without surfing. But at least I can get rid of the other remote now.

Was also told by the installer that NTL are moving away from the PACE box to another vendor (Siemens I think) due to PACE almost being bankrupted by NTL not paying their bills.

Jason

Thanks for confirming that Jason. Telewest/NTL have obviously disabled some codes.

There's going to be an update mid/late Sept apparently with Pace boxes being replaced with the new units.

Bet that the new box will be uncontrollable or full of bugs.:mad:

Either way I can only dream of $ky:( .

Kav.

I can't have Sky due to planning restrictions in my area (heritage site) not allowing dishes. People tried to ignore the rules and have been given court orders to remove them, but they still have to pay Sky for the first years contract :(

Not been told anything about any box upgrade in my area, but that wouldn't surprise me. I've found the bradband more stable though, which is a bonus.

As long as I can give my wife a single remote that does on/off channel & volume up/down, I don't get too much grief about the other stuff that appears. :D

Sorry if I'm coming into the middle of this debate, but I've just had NTL replace my stb for a pace 4000. The problem is, now I have it, I don't know what to do with it to get a learning remote to operate it. The supplied remote still works on the IRDA system, but I note that on the back of the box are 2 little ports - IR booster out and IR booster in. What do I do with these. Also am I right in thinking that the only type of learning remote that will control this box is a Pronto style remote. I was all set on buying the Sony RMV2950T. As always, your help is always appreciated.

Cookie

Just one warning about the Pace 4000 - it doesn't have phono audio sockets. My older box did. Obviously not a problem if you have a SCART -> Video/Phono lead or like me a RGB Scart -> Svideo/Phono converter.

Teleworst changed the box because of other problems I had. The box is quicker too.

Not tried a universal remote (don't have a pronto) because my Marantz 1200 is a learning remote only.

Be wary of the new software updates, in the last day or so mines started changing channels when I adjust the volume on my amp, changing channels up sends them down and then up, and sometimes fails to respond altogether. Not at all helpful, and funnily enough the original remote works fine...

Jason - Currently in the NTL phone queue

I've just had my STB replaced for another of the same series, and still the IR remote is working intermittently and basically doing stuff it shouldn't. So looks like bad news for those of us with IR remotes.

Worth noting I've just had the latest NTL software update (CR3) for their interactive services in this area. It was one of the micro updates that has caused the problem. So we'll probably all get hit by this soon if on NTL.

HI,

I have just phoned Telewest.

After an hour and a half, I fianlyy got them to offer to replace/upgrade my Pace digibox from the T1000 to the TI4000 series, for a price, since there is no fault with existing box.

Was anyone else asked to pay a call out fee to upgrade? Or should I allow a toddler to spill water all over it!!

Seriously, I dont mind paying the call out fee, if the new box is compatable with my pronto.

Is it, the compatability issues seem slightly sketchty, hit and miss from this forum. Need to check out remotecentral.com as well.

Any advice appreciated

Adrian

Are the Pace 4000 boxes still working with the pronto or not?

Are any other models of the Pace NTL boxes working with the pronto since the STB software updates?

The Pace 4000 boxes work very intermitently with ir codes from Remote-Central.

I've been through the Pronto, Pronto Neo and iPaq 3850 with CF flash extender and spent more time trying to get the equipment to work than watching movies:mad:

Solution?
One-for-all kameleon 6!
Entered the code for Pace box and viola!Everything appears to be working well without delays or stupid buffering:D
I like the feel of 'buttons' again and it looks sooo cool when it lights up.
It also has enough buttons for PC /macros/projector setup and its also girlfriend/beer/kiddie friendly.

Congrats to one-for-all!

For me, its a pronto beater.

PS. Customer service is also excellent!

hi

I had this problem and found the best way to deal with it was to buy a TIVO.

the pronto controls the tivo and that in turn controls the pace STB.

haven't used the STB remote for months now and couldn't be happier.

for £99 (if you can find one) it's a bargain.

good luck
stu

Originally posted by Jason S
I can't have Sky due to planning restrictions in my area (heritage site) not allowing dishes. People tried to ignore the rules and have been given court orders to remove them, but they still have to pay Sky for the first years contract :(

This is not the right place to discuss it but there *are* ways around the "no dish" problem. Ask in the Sky Digital Forum.

Fman

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom