• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Remote streaming from NAS

Lighty

Question 2 for the day!

I use a ATV to stream my video files at home and the NAS is also a backup for family photos etc.

I’ve not dabbled with streaming wirelessly or remotely much though.

can anyone point me to a simple guide to say:

access my music at home (ds audio doesn’t see all of my cd tips)
Access my music remotely

it’d be via iOS

thanks

Lighty

next010

Distinguished Member
Synology have a built in remote access system called Quickconnect, you turn that on in DSM control panel.

Next go into the DSM control panel-> Indexing service and click on Indexed Folder then in here pick what folders to scan and set the corresponding type for music, picture, video.

This indexing service is what scans for content which is then fed into Synology's media apps. Synology dont support every audio type under the sun, so if you have very obscure audio formats dont expect those to be supported.

Now go to the DSM package centre and install Audiostation, it should automatically import the music from the indexed folders.

Now go to your phone and install DS Audio, this interfaces with Audiostation on the NAS.

If all goes well you should be able to remotely access it.

Lighty

Wow that sounds perfect. As soon as the array has finished the parity check I will be giving this a whirl.
thanks so much for the clear reply!
I posted two questions today and this one is the one I hoped I’d get on avf - so many good guys on here willing to help a fellow out.
take care.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom