1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Server Turn On

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JohnS, May 12, 2003.

1. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have just relocated my server PC running W2Kserver to the understairs cupboard. To control it I use the Remote Desktop Client thats is built into XP pro which is on all of my other machines.

Using the rmeote control I can configure everything I need and shut the system down. Any ideas to how I can remotely turn it on?

I guess I need a wake-on-lan network card connected to the appropriate MB header but I'm sure I remember reading something about having to run a script to make it work:confused:

2. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do a search on the Internet for 'Magic Packet' , you should find some software to do this, and be able to trigger it via remote control ...

The easy way to tell if a network card will work with Wake-On Lan .. is if you have your PC plugged in , but not turned on , and there is a light on the network card .... then it should work .. most network cards , and onboard lan ports made in the last few years have wake on ability ....

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wake on LAN shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you mean you want to boot it remotely, you're looking at a LOT of money for the appropriate hardware.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    You could use something like an airboard to trigger the power on (space bar) and use an IR repeater.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The magic packet seems to be a poissibility but I've got a lot more reading to do before I understand it.

I do mean that I'd like it to boot from cold.

Unfortunatly the IR wake from keyboard which I use with my HTPC wont work in this case as the machine is a long way from my study and doesn't have a keyboard,mouse or monitor attached.

I can shut down with the Terminal Services software and I have the bios set to auto boot after a power cut but it would be nice to be able to remotely turn it back on without having to go downstairs to the cupboard.:)

6. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im sorry .. buts thats just not true ... any PC with a WOL capable network card (any 20quid card should do), will be able to remote power on a PC with the right software ... its just a matter of finding the right software.

For Example :

http://users.pandora.be/jbosman/pwroff30.zip

Is a a free piece of software that should do the job ... FREE being the apporproaite word ...

7. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need to think that through again originalbadboy.

If you can tell me how a piece of software can access and remotely turn on another computer's power supply WHEN THAT COMPUTER IS SWITCHED OFF, with nothing more than an unpowered WOL network card, I'll be more than a little surprised.

The piece of software you recommended looks very interesting, but it doesn't provide anything other than shutdown/reboot and other live access actions for the reason I've hinted at above.

To be able to remote cold boot via LAN you have to install special hardware and, for obvious reasons, it's EXTREMELY expensive.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Why switch it off ?

I leave mine running 24-7...also under the stairs...and have done so for over 6 months now with out powering down.

Also, check out this thread over at Kustom PC's...a guy there has an RF remote thingy which should do the trick - he sells them also.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2231

Cheers, Lee

9. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As a computer engineer ... I know what I am talking about , thank you ...

It really depends on what you mean by 'switched off'. If you mean off , and the power actually off at the wall as well, then yes , obviously that will require extra hardware, but the idea of a WOL network card, is that it draws a very small current from the PC, so that if , the 'magic packet' is sent to it , it turns on the PC.

The same principle allows you to turn on a PC via a keyboard , or for example a modem ... The PC may be off, but as long as it is plugged into the wall and the wall socket is actually on , then you can cold boot a PC in a variety of ways ....

You do not, I REPEAT, YOU DO NOT have to install 'special hardware' to cold boot a PC (which has power going to it) at all ...

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks for confirming that, have you any reccomendations to a particular magic packet product to use?

Cheers

11. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try the link I posted ... otherwise , just do a search

12. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stand corrected! You're absolutely right; it works! Wonderful piece of software, originalbadboy, and just what I need, too, for my own upcoming network system at home.

I had thought the only way to cold remote boot a workstation/PC via LAN from a server was with the kind of hardware used for OS (network distribution) installations from remote server..............

Me and my big mouth! :eek:

PS I am also a computer engineer, so it clearly doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're talking about when you are one..............does it? (Though, of course, I've never been wrong before LOL)

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks, that programs really simple and works a treat:)

14. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    originalbadboy, that is a brilliant piece of software, thank you for providing the link.

Ken

15. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3