Remote Play over the Internet

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Anyone having much luck using Remote Play - accessing the PS3 via the Vita.

It works fine at home, i.e. using Private Network and via Internet - I can operate the PS3 menu, play back movies/music/photos etc

I have tried using it away from home, just to see if it works. I can connect my Vita to the work Wifi, web pages works, but it times out for remote play. It is highly likely my work is blocking something (iplayer/games sites etc are blocked, also things go via the USA)

I have also tried using it via my mobile (Full Speed Connection - Voda) using WiFi tethering, again its timing out: "Could not connect to the PS3..." and "Error NP-9761-3".

Its not an essential function, I just like messing about, it would be nice to have some remote Play TV for the odd Olympic Event :devil:

Remote play is not going to work outside of your home network. How would your Vita know where to connect?

Remote play is not going to work outside of your home network. How would your Vita know where to connect?

Yeah it will..for one, the Vita will know where to connect, as the PS3 will have been paired with it, prior to leaving or whatever, and it works over the net.
Brief guides here:

PS3™ | Using remote play (via the Internet)

Remote play outside your home via the Internet | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide

You just need to forward the correct PSN and Remote Play ports to make sure it doesn't time out.

I stand corrected.

I thought I read somewhere that the bluetooth connection was also required for remote play to work?

Nope, Remote Play uses wifi on the Vita.

Ok so when im at home, everything works fine with remote play. Private-network works & also through via-internet. When i go to a friends or my girlfriends house & try to do it, an error indicator pops up saying that i must be signed in with the same PSN account for it to work. i got remote enable start on, via-internet start on, and auto-sign in to my account. Ive been trying to find ways to fix it but seem i cant. im really guessing it has to do with my new router i got cause with my old one it worked fine until i replaced it with a NetGear N600 dual brand. if any suggestions please help me out cause i really wanna play some of my remote play games at home from a friends house.

You just need to forward the correct PSN and Remote Play ports to make sure it doesn't time out.

this is probably why I;ve nver got it to work outside of home too then! Not bothered about playing games but its good in principal to use for setting downloads whilst I'm at work

this is probably why I;ve nver got it to work outside of home too then! Not bothered about playing games but its good in principal to use for setting downloads whilst I'm at work
That seems to have been crippled recently. I've tried to login to my ps3 via remote play and when I try to start up the store it now says that it's not allowed.

So it's either changed on the 2.01 version of vita firmware, or when they recently updated the PS Store on the ps3 .... either way I'm pretty p***ed off that its changed.

I have still not been able to get remote play to work away from the home. Doubt it's really worth the effort, 3g is rarely quick enough, free WiFi around here is as rare as rocking horse plop.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom