Remote play... A bit naff?

winstano

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know, I know... 2 threads in a short space of time's normally frowned upon... But here goes.

I've just set up my PSP to connect to the PS3 using remote play... And I'm not impressed one bit.

If the F1 rear view mirror thing is true, then god help me it'll be so laggy I'd probably want to rip someone's teeth out (Don't have the game, only the demo)...

I mean honestly. What *IS* the point in this feature?! You can watch a beautiful 1080p HD trailer from the PS3 on a PSP screen that... well... The streaming leaves a lot to be desired, let's just say that. I've seen better quality vids on youtube for god's sake!

Really, why is this feature there? They could do so much more with it, but right now I just... I'm at a loss as to why Sony are making such a big deal out of this on their website!!

Still, I suppose the one good thing is it's gotten my PSP out of the drawer for the first time in about 3 months!

The streaming is pretty good.. no lag at all on mine, but that's really all you can do with it at the moment. Can't actually see a time when I'd use it though in its current state.

Once the ability to connect via wifi hotspots is implemented and you can actually play games on it (which given that it's called 'remote play' it really should be able to do already) it could be a really neat feature.

(TBH it's becoming a bit of a Sony modus operandi - lots of features that are *almost* great but lack the ability to actually *be* great. remote play that doesn't allow remote play... video playback that supports mpeg4-sp but not divx which is the same damned thing, web browser that won't stream video, allow pluggable drives then limit them to fat32.. I get so frustrated since the hardware is so nice and definately capable of all this)

With mine it's about half a second between pressing the X button and it loading up the menu... And as I said, the quality of the videos is shockingly bad when it's streaming from the PS3... Even though the original's in HD quality!

I think Sony should enable some sort of update so that people can use the PSP as a kind of limited-use controller (Obviously there's no L2 or right analogue stick, but it could work for some games)...

They've missed a real trick with the initial launch of it... If it had more functionality I'd be singing its praises! I love my PSP (Despite it being in amongst my socks for a while - uni's taking its toll!), and I love my PS3... I really thought they'd nail the interoperability of both consoles from day one...

The video quality is excellent given the limitations of the screen. Maybe it's hitting a bandwidth limitation on your wifi?

Possibly so.. I'm just used to watching my Spidey UMD on there, which frankly looks amazing... I just kinda expected more... Am I right in thinking that the PSP is only 802.11b? Or is it g? (More to the point, is the PS3 802.11n?)

I think it's g.. I'd hope so as connecting a b device to a g network can drag the entire network speed down on some routers.

I doubt the ps3 is n - it isn't even a final standard yet (the second draft was only published last month).. all the 'n' routers available are really guesswork based on the drafts - and may not be compatible with the final standard (much less each other).

I believe the PSP is 802.11b only.

i use it to listen to music, works fine, and if you turn the PQ down, response goes up and vice versa.

I love the PSP Remote functionality. I can check on the state of my PS3 downloads, or watch video, anywhere in the house. It is true there is a lack of killer apps for the feature yet, but I am sure this time next year ther'll be lots.

when we finally get PS1 game downloads, we can play them via remote play on our PSP's! so we don't have to shell out for a 1gb MS!

Remote play worked well on mine and I got no lag at all streaming video or music. Not sure if i'll use it unless the PSP gets integrated into some PS3 games though. Just can't see why i'd want to stream stuff to my PSP in the house. Using hotspots when out and about sounds like a great idea, but not if you have to leave the PS3 on in remote play mode whilst you are out. It's a nice idea, but is more of a gimmick than anything IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom