1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote or PDA?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by DaveRichardson, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DaveRichardson

DaveRichardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a remote (preferably with a touchscreen) I can configure to give a simple family friendly top menu of "buttons" that will control :

a. The TV, amp, scaler and Sky+ on off (all on one button if possible)
    b. The volume of my AV amp (Denon)
    c. The input aspect ratio of my iscan scaler.
    d. The sky + controls.

I have seen several units that will allow me to have a menu per unit but I'm not sure which would allow the above as a top level menu.

Any advice on a remote model (or would I be better off with a PDA)?

Dave

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm not sure a touchscreen could ever be considered 'family-friendly' - my wife hates our Kameleon 6 due to the fact that she has to look at the remote before she does anything and I'm starting to agree with her.

I've just bought a URC-200 to replace our Kameleon. If you are set on a touchscreen you may want to consider a URC-300, which is a good compromise.

3. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I love my IPAQ H3970 - comes with Nevo software and my wife has got used to it. It's bluetooth and I have setup a network with the PC and now can sit on the sofa and surf AV Forums with the remote control - it's a winner and I got mine from eBay with loads of extras for £125...bargain (400MHz, 64mb RAM, SD card slot and bluetooth)

4. DaveRichardson

DaveRichardson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    will the IPAQ with that software allow me to set up a menu with for example the Sky + buttons, the AV Amp volume and the Scanner's aspect ratio buttons.
    The rest I'm happy to hide in menus for each device.

Regards
    Dave

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yes it's got loads of built-in codes and is also a learning remote.

You can put what keys you like on whatever page you like and call it what you like...a review of the sofware can be read here

You can set the hard buttons on the IPAQ (the up,down,left,right) to do the volume on your amp and the channel up and down on SKY+ (or play, pause, rew, fwd or menu navigation) and the TASK button for MUTE.

I also have set the RECORD button on the side to launch the Nevo software so it's easy to get straight to...

6. scottbown

scottbown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

(some great comments so far)

I've a Plasma/AV reciever/xbox/mini disc/VCR and i'd like an all-in-one remote. :)

I've read about IPAQ H3970 and the Nevo software.. it sounds Great!! I'd love to have the ipaq sitting on arm rest in cradle allowing me to control everything (mo-ha-ha - evil laugh)

However do i need to get a IPAQ H3970? I know it's not the lastest model but would one of the lower spec ipaqs still have the same performence? In particular would the IR port still have the same range? (ideally i'd like to spend less than £100)

Thanks,

Scott

7. c0mplex

c0mplex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PDA is often used as a remote control.

There is much code explaining how to send InfraRed messeges via the InfraRed port in the PDA.

If you wish to purchase a PDA, check first the software you can afford to buy in order to engage it as a remote control.

:smashin: Hope you will found this post helpful. :smashin:

8. Mondorich

Mondorich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered an HP iPAQ rx3715 to use as a remote as well as an organiser. The Nevo application (version 2.0 on this model) is what swayed me away from some type of Philips Pronto.

I quite fancy the media streaming as well but that is a secondary thing at the mo.

9. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I use an iPaq 2210 as a remote. It came with Nevo preinstalled but I use TV Remote Controller from www.pdawin.com as it allows you to use Pronto CCF's which IMO give greater flxibility than Nevo did.

John

10. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The iPAQs with Nevo installed have the IR transfer function and seperate domestic infrared transmitter. I think this is a more elegant solution personally than the 3rd-party software - but I don't need pronto CCF's....

..be carfeul when buying though as only certain models have Nevo installed, I went for the 3970 as it had bluetooth and was cheap as it's an old model. The Nevo v2 does look very nice, and unfortunately they are not upgradeable.

11. scottbown

scottbown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for responses,

Not really bothered about CCF's... as long as it can learn i'm ok with that...

In the end I got myself a Dell Axim X5 as it looks nice, plus some good recommdations from this forum. In addition Gonna order a IR extender. is there anywhere other than Laser that sell it?

Thanks
    Scott