1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote minicam to camcorder connectivity

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gliderpilot925, Nov 10, 2004.

1. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is rephrasing a question asked yesterday. I'm asking in a different way because no answers have been posted to what must be a really easy question. (if you know the answer)

I want to link a remote (cheap?!) mini camera to an input on a DV camcorder.
    I assume that if I want digital quality the minicamera should have "DV-out" to connect to "DV-in". Am I right to make ths assumption?

I have found a remote minicam with AV-out and I see that some DV camcorders have "AV-in" facilities. Would this allow digital quality recording.
    (I realise that the output quality of the minicam is an over-riding factor).

Basically, I want to record on a camcorder from a camera placed where I could not reasonably site the whole camcorder.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don't see that what you are intending is unreasonable. The difference in quality from using an AV input and a DV input is likely to be insignificant since you will be recording to DV and, as you say, the quality of the minicam is the overriding factor. Onething to watch if you have not considered it already is the power source of the minicam. I did a dub from AV to digital and the results were more than adequate.

-Ian

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, DV to DV will be digital. DV will normally be far better quality than any analogue source, but as you say if the lens etc on the remote camera is poor then the whole image regardless of anything else will still be poor.

No, if transfering the video via AV you are useing analogue connections and will therefore get an analogue quality recording. The DV cam will just convert the analogue signal to digital before writing to the tape.

I am not expert on bullet cams, but I am not aware of any DV bullet cams. Saying that though the quality of some of the bullet cams is very good. You will need to demo one and see if it is good enough for you.

Mark.

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DV tapes record a digital signal, the DV camcorder will convert the analogue signal (as produced by the -usually- inferior CMOS type imager in the bullet cam) to a digital signal before committing it to tape.

Incidentally, all but the most high end broadcast/HD cams produce an analogue signal from the CCDS, they all go through image processing and a codec.

This means that once the signal has been processed, converted and compressed that you should not lose any more quality, even through editing.

If you can get a CCD type bullet cam you will get better results, if you can get an S-Video output, even better.

AV-OUT/In, is usually taken to mean a composite (the most basic) type signal, S-video is better (chroma & Luma seperation) , component (R, G, B colour and R, G, B luma is best). You rarely get component in the consumer realm (although if you really want to split hairs, DV is component digital).

In short then, if you can stretch to a CCD camera as opposed to CMOS, if you can get one with an S-video out as apposed to AV or composite, and if you can look for one that gives you as many lines as possible (they range from around 250 lines to around 450, again without going to the broadcast sector) and get a cam with S-video in!.

5. gliderpilot925

gliderpilot925

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies they mostly confirm what I suspected so I suppose I shall just have to bite the bullet, no pun intended :), and give it a try. For anybody else that is interested the bullet cam I'm considering is sold by RF Concepts and has a 1/3" ccd (21CWSHRX (High Res EXVIEW (low light) Sony CCD)). It only has AV out but is "recommended" for professional use. Time will tell.