1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote mayhem

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stevedowns64, Jul 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. stevedowns64

stevedowns64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I give my kids the sky remote to change channels and i have the Tivo remote,the trouble is when I want to record something It stays on the same channel as what the kids were watching.It dosent change.
    Do you have to use the Tivo remote all the time or is my system faulty

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,105
    It doesn't sound like its faulty to me...

Tivo will warn you that its about to change channels to record something if you are watching through the Tivo output. If you try to change channels using the Tivo remote and it is already recording it will warn you that this will cancel the recording.

If you change channels independantly using your Sky remote and you're not watching through the Tivo then the Sky box will obey and Tivo will record what ever the Sky box is outputting.

I always use the Tivo remote and always watch through the Tivo output Digibox->Tivo->TV.
    That way you get an idea of what its doing + pause live TV etc.

3. Lurker

Lurker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This does not appear to be true for my Tivo. If I press the record button (as opposed to a timed recording) the Tivo will change the sky box channel to whatever it THINKS is the current channel which is most annoying....

For example if I go to channel 133 using the Tivo remote all fine and dandy. I then use the Sky remote to change to 112 (why you might ask...wifey thats what) and 112 appears on the TV. All fine so far.....

It appears however that Tivo does not realise that the sky box has changed and if you press record it sends a signal to the sky box with the current clannel that it is aware of (i.e. 133) - you can check this by changing channel using sky remote and presing TV guide on Tivo - mine shows the previous channel.

Does this happen to anyone else? My mate reckons it doesnt with her.......

cheers

Chris

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    TiVo only knows what channel is being displayed if you change channel with the TiVo remote. TiVo has no direct access to a digi box, only via infrared.
    TiVo does send the channel number to the digi box (that it thinks you are watching or want to record from) at the start and finish of a recording (maual or timer).