Question remote locate a power amp

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by uncle bale, Jul 25, 2018.

1. uncle bale

uncle bale
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Guys,
    Odd question. I have a system where I have to remote locate the power blocks from the processor in a theater. They will only be about 50 feet away, but I only have a 3/4" conduit between the two and no way to fish.

What I need is a converter that will take a variable output analog (7.1) out of the processor and convert it to (preferably) digital, run down a fiber or Cat cable, then decode at the other end again and feed the power blocks.

Anyone know of a solution for this? I don't need it to be cheap, this is a high end system. Several thousand is not out of the question.
    Thanks
    James

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,551
    If you're talking about the processor - power amplifier connection, all you need is a standard multichannel coax interconnect. There is no need for fibre or the like at the low frequencies of audio, and the unnecessary performance degradation your suggestion will incur is something that would be a pity in a high end system. Your local professional audio supplier will have a range of suitable cables, at a price that is under £1K rather than several £K.

If it's about the video signal (processor - TV/projector), where normal HDMI cabling will not work at this distance, I suggest something like the RuiPro fibre solution(RuiPro Hybrid Fibre Optic HDMI cable – The Media Factory) in its 20m version. It too will cost rather less than £1K.

3. jamieu

jamieu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    There seems to be a bunch of re-badged Chinese-made units all based around the same tech but sold under a varity of names (Artel, Sescom, ECVV, Huikai, Beyond, Thor Broadcast etc.).
    Xlr Audio Over Fiber, Xlr Audio Over Fiber Suppliers and Manufacturers at Alibaba.com

"Fiber Optic Audio Snake" is probably the term you want to Google for.

My biggest concern would be that the AD/DA conversion would be the weak point, in an otherwise expensive and high end system.

I'm sure you have already tried/considered it, but if your connections are balanced (ie. your not relying so much on thick physical shielding) could you not get away with a thin multicore cable? ie. 8 pair diameter = 13mm. Would still be tight, but a lot less unnecessary AD/DA conversion going on and about hundred times cheaper, not to mention a damm sight simpler.
    Sommer 100-0101 Mistral MCF08 8-Way Multicore Cable

You could use even use an 8-way XLR patch bay with screw terminals at either end if soldering isn’t your forte.
    - Panel https://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Way-Hole-Patch-Panel/dp/B00MYAB6V6
    - Sockets Neutrik NC3MD-S-1-B XLR Screw Chassis Male

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  4. uncle bale

uncle bale
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, I didn't think of the multi core cable (forehead slap). I will have to see if I can find one thin enough.

Thanks!