Remote just smacked the telly!

pigdog237

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it! But, it's true - my remote strap just snapped playing Wii Sports bowling!

I think as I bowled, it went too low, hit the carpet - which must've snapped the little cord. it then flew out of my hand with enough force to dent the surround of the TV & scuff the corner of the remote! If it had hit someone it would've hurt!

Ironically my GF was also playing & earlier tonight she'd been talking to her sister on the phone about Wii injuries. I'd said that was a load of baloney & tried to show her the spoof "Wii fatality" video on www.joystiq.com as a joke, but wouln't work on Wii browser.

Perhaps this is potentially a way of getting a good excuse to buy a 42" LCD to replace my old CRT! If it had been 1 inch to the left...

Typed slowly on my Wii remote!

:rotfl: Sorry mate, shouldn't laugh.

Just finished a big session ourselves tonight, parents are up from down south for xmas and they're lovin' it (the wii that is).
First my wife bowls and smacks the remote into the fire surround next to the telly (no damage done luckily) then 5 mins later i nearly take my 6 year old's head off with a back hand smash :eek: Hopefully the bruising will've gone down by christmas day!
This thing has danger written all over it............ but its so much fun.

I can understand how you can whack someone with it, my partner has hit the ceilin chandelier (but he is very tall) with it, but I cannot for the life of me understand how you can let it fly from your hand...I learnt to hold things from a very early age......for the cord to snap you must be actually chucking it like a ball, you're supposed to hold onto it!

for the cord to snap you must be actually chucking it like a ball, you're supposed to hold onto it!

you say that, but it is soo hard to keep in the frame of mind that you dont need to chuck it, when you really get into it! haha!

i did chuckle when i read some of the posts though, all beit a bit harsh of me.

I can understand how you can whack someone with it, my partner has hit the ceilin chandelier (but he is very tall) with it, but I cannot for the life of me understand how you can let it fly from your hand...I learnt to hold things from a very early age......for the cord to snap you must be actually chucking it like a ball, you're supposed to hold onto it!

I think when people are playing bowling, their normal instinct is to let go, just like they would with the ball. Might explain it.

But then with the strap on (no puns), it would still take some power for it to snap, hitting the floor does not help.

for the cord to snap you must be actually chucking it like a ball, you're supposed to hold onto it!

No - all I did was lower my hand too low, as if I was really bowling. So the remote hit the floor with enough force to break the cord. I was shocked how fast it went flying!

I honestly wasn't going crazy or getting carried away!

I actually commented on a previous thread a few weeks ago that I thought those early US owners were faking it - well, some obviously were! But some were probably genuine!

BTW I'm not gonna sue anyone! I hate those "No win - no fee" companies! Plus the dent is very small. But if it had hit the screen of an LCD or plasma it could've been bad!

The Wii injuries to me just seem like over excitement and not realising what you're doing, all those sueing (hope thats how u spell it) should be thrown in jail for trying to effectively steal money for their own fault

How long are your arms? Or don't you have any legs? :rotfl:

:rotfl: Perhaps he's a real life version of the bowlers that are playing in the other alleys in Wii Sports Bowling(they're all legless:laugh:).

Still don't get it. Played Sports, Zelda and Red Steel a lot. Haven't lost control of it once. I'd advise against real bowling as I fear you'd end up losing a finger in a ball.

The Wii injuries to me just seem like over excitement and not realising what you're doing, all those sueing (hope thats how u spell it) should be thrown in jail for trying to effectively steal money for their own fault

This is very true for adults but the recommended age for the Wii is 7 years and up isn't it?

Expecting 7 year olds to not get over-excited is unrealistic so you can expect there to be a lot of young children having accidents with the Wii after christmas which is the kind of publicity which will be much harder for nintendo to shrug off.

Even nintendos warnings are ridiculous- make sure there are no objects or people near you when you play.

A bit difficult to do if there are 4 people playing tennis in front of the television.

Don't get me wrong, I will be buying a Wii for myself after christmas and hope it succeeds because it looks like a lot of fun, I just hope Nintendo have prepared themselves for the bad press that will inevitably come after christmas

My Mum, the old dear, is a bit dangerous at Tennis..

She did say it was making her ache a bit, as though it was the console's fault, I went and got a tennis racquet from upstairs, and told her to go out side and play real tennis, and see how much more that hurts!!..

I think people are just not used to
A. Playing sports while hitting nothing is going to over extend your muscles/joints.. so go easy..
B. Doing any form of exercise for a while..

I can't see how anyone could think it is the consoles/controller's 'fault' when they wouldn't blame the bowling alley/tennis court if they got a few knocks and bangs while doing the real thing..

Mind you, it is uber fun, and seeing my old dear just giving it death is such a riot!!..

my mate hit the cupboard & knocked over a can of beer last night playing tennis :devil:

much to the usamusement of his bird who had just paid for it all :rotfl:

Hi all

Interesting to see its not just me suffering from injury. Luckily Santa managed to grab a Wii for my children and I was just as excited as them when it came to Christmas day. After setting up everything we have hardly stopped playing with it - it really is great entertainment especially watching the wife trying the golf and getting very frustrated as she pitches another ball into the water hazard:D

My downfall was the tennis and managed to try and serve the ceiling light as well as the ball:( One rather bruised hand and a finger nail going through different shades of blue and black. Cannot quite get the hang of the baseball yet - spend most of the time wildly swinging in circles and not conecting with anything apart from the youngest in the family who unbeknown to me has sneaked behind me on the way to the nibbles.

Now back in the office leaving the kids to continue their quest with Zelda at home. Think I need the rest:)

Wishing everyone a happy and injury free 2007

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

our cat now knows the sound of the Wii firing up and makes a dash for higher ground :)

I can't wait to see how my dog will react - she isn't the sharpest tool in the box so she'll probably try and eat the remote :rotfl:

this is a problem with the earlier wii straps the break quite easily,
you should have had an email about sending off for a replacement stronger strap.
I got mine on preorder from woolies and they sent the email shortly afterwards.
Sorry i dont have the order link but its on another pc, mabe you could try the nindy site.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom