1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Help

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Warnie, May 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Warnie

Warnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can help me. I'm thinking of buying a remote control for everything and wondered if anyone knew if any multi use remote controls operated Tivo? If so can anyone advise the best ones to use please ? My tivo remote is double clicking and I've had enough -can't figure out a way to open it to clean it!

are the Cambridge ones on sale at Richer Sounds any good for Tivo use?

thanks

2. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a Pronto and it is amazing. (about £150 from Richer Sounds, but maybe less now)

So long as the signal in infra red, not radio link then it will work anything.

Even the wife and kids like it and use it now, the 8 other remotes are hidded away.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Cambridge remote a while ago, they're not very customizable- pretty basic.

Instead I went for the Harmon/Kardon TC1000 remote (one of the first learning remotes, before the Pronto)

IMO the software for the HK is much easier than the Pronto/Tonto software... so better for the begineer. However the Pronto has ability to use custom graphics, the HK does not.

The Pronto feels uncomftable in my hands (sort of slips out) the TC is bit & chunky so you get a decent grip of it.

checkout www.remotecentral.com

4. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the new OFA 6131 at http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/product.cgi?model=URC-6131. Only available in the US, but it includes the thumbs up/down buttons for TiVo. And it is only $15.

If you investigate JP1 and purchase a 6131 suitably modified, then you program it fully for the UK - I just got one to use with the Pace Twin.

5. richkeys

richkeys
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a pronto and the original tivo remote to control tivo. you can see my Tivo Pronto design at my website (link below). The reason for this is i find the TiVO remote one of the best designed remoted ever, it's absolutely intuitive, it can be used in the dark with no problems. However, I think i've designed a pretty TiVO control on my pronto so take a look and feel free to email me if you have any queries.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you can get replacement remotes from Tivo CS.

I've tried quite a few universal remotes, most have a problem learning the standby button on the Tivo as it broadcasts a series of signals. (When configured to operate other equipment)

DaveP

7. smudgermac

smudgermac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is interesting. I have been looking for a programmable remote suitable for the Pace Twin. I have tried to use a Philips remote, but like many, it doubles up the colour (teletext) buttons with other key functions like play/rewind etc. This totally screws up it's suitability with the Twin, unless you contstantly switch between TV and VCR settings. I wish Pace (and other manufacturers) could take a lesson from the excellent design of the Tivo remote, and include at least the basic capability to program/learn an AV system or TV volume control and standy/off button !

DO you have this remote yet and got it working with the Twin ? And what do you mena by JP1 ?
    Rgds

Smudger

8. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a hold of the first ever universal remote that works. I have binned my Kameleon and my irritating pronto for this baby. Is a Home theatre master mx-500. Its only £100 and its the dog danglies.

You can get it from here:

http://www.fpsgamer.co.uk/hcinema/mx500.htm

reviews here:

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html

I cant stress how good this remote is. It just blows every other one out of the water. It does everything I own. Plasma, Tivo, dvd player, dvd recorder, sky box, video & yamaha amp. I put all these remotes in the cupboard and NEVER need to use them for anything.

It has Macro programmable hard press keys with lcd screens. Just great.