Remote Help Please

milanlad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear All

I want to buy a multifunction remote like the pronto or the marantz range or the mosaic etc. I'm looking for something which is very flexible and programmable.

Items to control.

SKY+ system (Pace)
Sony SKY digibox
Panasonic E30 DVD Recorder
Panasonic VCR's
Panasonic TV
Nokia TV (old portable)

Also want to control other devices, including Hifi (Arcam, Sony)

My budget is up to say £300 but would consider more if the remote was exactly what I needed.

All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Milan

RS are selling Philips Pronto's quite cheap and they should be up to the task.

Mine works a treat.

Get a pronto

Alot of remotes have a limited numbers of devices that they they can control but the pronto is more flexible and you can customise screens and layouts

Personally i would say its a no brainer but if you are not sure go to Remote central and have a look at the reviews

What do you think of the Marantz remotes, RC5200 and RC9200?I like the idea of the Marantz having more hard wired buttons than on the Pronto.

The option is to get a PDA like the IPAQ H5450 with an IR booster.

What do you think?

Cheers

As far as hard buttons go your right IMO more are better and the thing that i think is the hardest to get used to is having to look at the panel as opposed to just feeling the remote and knowing what you are pressing.

As for the pda i cant comment but i would be vey interested to find out more about going down this route. i think this is going to be the future but if it is a capable replacement yet i dont know.

Originally posted by milanlad
Is that RS as in RS Components Ltd?

No, Richer Sounds. It used to throw me too.

I wish people would refer to them as Richer Sounds and not RS, which is like using BT for a company other than British Telecom

I'd recommend the Marantz's - you get all the functionality of the Pronto but those extra hard wired button make a lot of difference for those remote functions you use all the time. Using the Marantz I can navigate my way around all the essential functions of Tivo without ever having to look at the remote.

The 5200 is just fine but I must admit I do like that sexy colour display on my 9200, and you get a RF extender thrown in as well...

Sharon

I got my Pronto from Rischer on Monday

£149.95 I think

I got my Pronto from Richer yesterday for £99.95. I suggest you go back to them and ask for a £50 refund.

If it helps i bought my pronto from RS in Reading last sunday, a day after the ad in What Video etc came out - you should get the refund...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom