1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Help (Pansonic Plasma, Kiss DVD, Sky, ...)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by juan9999, Jun 22, 2003.

1. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought my first plasma and have already run into remote hell... a problem I had avoided with my CRT TV because of multiple Scart inputs and built in (average) sound... But having just spent the cash on the plasma, I have a limited budget but want sa remote control system that will grow with me as and when budget permits.

I currently have a "poor man's" install that I hope to upgrade little by little. I have:
    - a very small room
    - a Panasonic 37" plama
    - Kiss DVD player - hooked up to plasma RGB inputs on terminal board (Kiss-technology.com DP-500)
    - Sky- hooked up to Svid inputs on terminal board
    - Computer- hooked up to SVGA port
    - Bose Lifestyle 5 (rapidly getting old)

I'd now have to use 4+ remotes and have to do the following:
    - Switch on Panasonic 37" plasma and choose either PC, Svid (for Sky), or RGB input (for DVD player)
    - Turn on my Bose stereo to Video or Aux depending on source (RF remote)
    - Use the Sky or DVD (Kiss DVD 500) remote

Future investments that will require remote functionality may include:
    - small AV amp w/ basic speakers (have a small lounge and things need to be hidden)
    - a B-TECH SCART switcher so that I can add a VCR to the combo if AV does not have scart inputs

1. Is there a sub 200 pound remote that can control all my equiptment (inc. Bose) and have macro functionality so that with one button (say DVD) it can switch on the plasma, change the chanel, switch on DVD player, and select audio source). If not, how much more would I have to spend. I'd like to get the right solution preferably...
    2. If not, (I'm willing to live without controling the Bose), what can do the above well (value/money) and what would I be giving up?
    3. What remote can I eventually add IR extenders to?

Thanks for all your help!:confused:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pronto was £99 at RS but a 940 should be found for £150 max will do all you need IIRC see remotecentral.com

Virtually no amps hace scart in puts they have :
    Composite (almost all)
    S-Vid (most)
    Componet (some higher end)
    Scart (very few)

For small speaker look for (at Kef eggs) for amps look at Yammaha, Panny, Pioneer and lower end denon
    Other Stuff RGB etc (one or 2)

If you need mopre info on none remote related gear please post in the relevant forum to keep this about remotes.
    remotecentral.com will have all the info you need look at Philips Pronto and the Marantz remotes (phlips clones)
    PS the site is USA based so not all models covered are available in the UK!

3. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I'm gonna need a bit more help I'm affraid.

I'm assuming you mean richer sounds (RS). Do you mean the pronto Neo for 119?

What does IIRC mean? I couldn't find a review for the pronto 940 (unless I missed it).

The only reason I listed the rest was to ensure that the remote would work when I expand.

Thanks again.

4. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just checked out the Philips site- and I don't think the Pronto will remote control my Bose stereo which uses an RF controler (not infrared).

Is there an alternative remote that would?

5. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC = netspeak for "If I Remember Correctly"

You're not gonna find a universal remote to control the RF Bose, so don't waste your time chasing that red herring. The best you can do is buy a device that will accept IR signals and convert them into RF. Here's a link to the device at BlueDo, but they are US based, so you might want to see if you can find a UK seller for it.

If you want a cheap remote that will grow with you, and you don't mind doing a bit of tinkering, your best bet is to get a JP1-compatible OFA (One For All) learning remote and then make yourself a JP1 cable.

I'm recommending a learning remote because you can use the learning feature to see what signals your devices need, then you can use this info to build new codes for them yourself.

There are tons up upgrade files already in the JP1 file section, including one for the Bose device.

If you can't find an OFA remote in the UK that you like, I can help you get a US model if you prefer those.

JP1 info:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1

6. juan9999

juan9999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help!

I think I'll take up your advise on the Bose side- I don't think it's worth the trouble or the money for a system I know I will be replacing when budget alows!

I also looked at the JP1 sites- thanks for that (and your site). I think I may be leaning more towards the Philips Pronto 950.

Has anyone done comparisons between the Philips and the Marantz?

Also, does anyone have the config files for a complete system that uses Sky and the Panasonic Plasma? I've looked at remotecentral.com and although there are hundreds of template, I didn't find one specifically for this.

Thanks!!!