Answered !!! Remote from hell !!!

ste20man

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have an LG 55UJ635V 55" Smart TV and I have to say it is not bad at all.

The problem I am having is that the remote is impossible to use in the dark.

It's this one here:

Genuine LG Remote Control for 55UJ635V 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV 3472295748184 | eBay

I use a sky remote at my folks place and everything is so simple at night, every button is where it should be. It's dead easy and I like it that way. This remote has so much stuff on it close together that you have to have a light to know what's going on.

I've looked around for a universal remote that has a Netflix button and a button to switch between TV and HDMI (the only two things I need) but have yet to get one that does both those things in a minimal remote that is not too cluttered.

Has anyone got a remote that fits the bill?

It's driving me up the wall, can anyone help?

Thanks for your time in advance, ste.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
First-world problems aye.
There's a learning curve with any new equipment's remote and through time and regular use you'll get to know where each button is and what it does.
You state you only need to use two buttons...surely you can remember where these are on the original remote?
In fact you only need to remember where the source button is as the Netflix button stands out by being a light-coloured button compared to the rest.

I know this isn't an incredibly important end of the world problem, it is in fact only fourth on my current list behind why do my phones constantly end up under the couch, why does my misses insist I do the washing up each night and why is it we all can't just seem to get along (I'm actually pumping £12.43 into this each week and feel at the round table we hold each month over here that we're close to a major breakthrough - so hold on to your pants).

I can see you're not up to date on the true level of complexity and nuances a modern day remote can have so do not feel bad about the overall tone of your message, the cutting edge of tech is not for every one, I personally have a great fear of this coming 4th industrial revolution, although I am holding out that remote designers will give over their jobs to our upcoming shiny AI masters.

You would get a better idea of my problem if you think of a back-lit or not keyboard.

I can't touch type, I want to see what's going on every now and then (38 typing errors so far as I've switched the back light off to test your general idea - this has been an absolute nightmare to type).

The LG remote has too many buttons per square inch (44).

I do appreciate your time but could you please go and buy the TV and remote and get back to me so you have a proper shot at actually helping me, turn off all the lights and you have a right go at it.

It will cost you a bit but you'd have a full grasp of the seriousness of the situation.

I do believe you will understand the severity of what I am dealing with, surely.

[I've just re-read that and I've realised I completely gone on a rant. Take every letter with a pinch of salt, I don't mean its surly tone, just annoyed with the remote, it is so badly designed it's a joke. I would have deleted what I wrote above but put so much into it that I didn't have the heart. Thanks for your ideas, I'll stumble on and try and see which button is which by shining my laptop screen onto it at night, all the best, ste.]

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Although bigger, I don't see a dedicated Netflix button which was one of your two requirements.

Chromecast!

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

Thanks for all your help, ste.

3D print a mask which covers all the buttons except the ones you still use.
You can unclip/slide it off to access occasional buttons, and can put feely features beside the holes to remind you which button is in the hole.

Edit: 3D print the mask using glow-in-the-dark filament for a mock backlit effect.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom