• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remote for '90s B&O TV

Danlat

Standard Member
Hey guys, apologies if I am in the wrong place or whatever. Long time visitor but first time poster here.

So I managed to get a great deal on a 1990's Bang & Olufsen BeoVision MX4000 Tv. The only problem is, it didn't come with a remote, and you literally need it to operate this thing. The original is the Beo4 remote, but they sell for upwards of £80 which is rediculous.

My question is, which remotes will work with this specific model of TV? I have heard it is difficult to get a universal remote or replacement that is compatible with B&O sets. I have found this, but the price is a bit steep. Remote Controls for Bang & Olufsen BEOVISIONMX4000

Many other sites claim they do not have any suggestions for this model. Can anybody point me to a very cheap and cheerful remote that will 100% work for sure ? And how would I get it to do so ?

Many thanks! :)

logiciel

Hi and welcome to AVF.
Universal remotes might control it, but they'd cost more than £20, so that's the one to go for.

Danlat

Standard Member
Hi and welcome to AVF.
Universal remotes might control it, but they'd cost more than £20, so that's the one to go for.

Apologies, I didn't notice the separate forum for remotes!

So none of those ultra cheap universal remotes will be compatible ? I see a few in shops around the £6 price mark and below that claim to work with 'over 500 brands' etc. But they never have the full list. So you think my best bet will be to go for the one I found online ? Sure its a bit pricey but I suppose at least compatibility is a sure thing.

Oh, I just found a universal remote in the house that we bought ages ago and never used. It is a Masterplug TVRC1N and it seems to have codes for Bang & Olufsen TV models. So I will give this a shot and see if it works, and if not then I will order one of those specific replacement remotes. I will be sure to post my progress here just in case anybody runs into the same issue !

Anyways, a classic B&O TV for £6 is a steal, even if I struggle to get it running :D

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

OK - I didn't realise I was so wide off the mark in my guess of basic URC prices, but there ARE four B & O codes for the one you found so you're probably saving even that much.:thumbsup:

Danlat

Standard Member
Fingers crossed :D I don't get to test it out until later this weekend, but I am hopeful due to the four codes. I had to search for the instruction book online but getting it in .pdf form was easier than most!

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

You're welcome and I too found the manual easily, but from a competing forum so it couldn't be linked here.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
B&O used a much higher frequency signal than most other brands (and not the same as Philips RC5) hence why cheaper remotes cannot output or copy the codes.
My parents have a remote (actually a Beolink 1000) that would almost certainly operate the MX4000 from a long-defunct 28" B&O TV but the condition isn't great and it feels like a solid lump of.... lead. PM if stuck.

Last edited:

Danlat

Standard Member
The second code in worked. One huge problem though. Hardly any of the buttons correspond to what actually happens when you press them, it only works from a distance of less than half a metre, and also none of the buttons switch it to AV mode. So I am stuck as to what to try now.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
The second code in worked. One huge problem though. Hardly any of the buttons correspond to what actually happens when you press them, it only works from a distance of less than half a metre, and also none of the buttons switch it to AV mode. So I am stuck as to what to try now.
Did you also try the third and subsequent codes? Sometimes these are simply there to adjust the key assignments.

QBSBuck

I have a Kameleon, One-for-all, URC8060 that I would part with. Would it work?

Last edited:

Danlat

Standard Member
Did you also try the third and subsequent codes? Sometimes these are simply there to adjust the key assignments.

Yes, I tried all of the codes, but code 1165 was the only one to work at all. And thanks QBSBuck, but I don't think it would. The B&O sets seem to be very picky about key assignment. I think maybe my best bet would be to order one of those £20 replacements. Its a little expensive, but at least I will know it works!

nvingo

Distinguished Member
...I think maybe my best bet would be to order one of those £20 replacements. Its a little expensive, but at least I will know it works!
;)P&P might get you a beolink1000. There should be no key assignment issues with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom