remote Extender - whats the best one?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Paul O, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    hi all,

I've just had a Freeview ariel installed in my house, and the installer also wired it up so that I get Cable in the bedroom as well as freeview on the telli. Bonus!

However, I need a remote extender (wireless) so I can change cable channels in the bedroom. Can someone recommend a good one please?
    It'll need to be IRDA compatable and ideally really small, I don't want a powermid if possible, just a little eye. If it can also control my DVD Hard disk recorder as well then that would be fantastic (I also have a video sender). I think this uses IRDA as well.

Thanks folks!

Paul.

2. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Not an easy one, I don't think, unless you're prepared to part with a bit of money for a more 'upmarket' model. The AEI DigiEye does IrDA & is reasonably cheap, but it's probably a bit bulky for what you're after. AFAIK, the "little eye" type devices you're referring to aren't wireless - they send the signal down the coax. I would suggest using one of these, but I don't know of one that does IrDA - so you'd have to use a Red-Eye translator with it & things start to get a bit messy...

Can't you utilise the remote repeater on your existing video sender - if it is indeed IrDA? The other option is to get a STB off VM which uses normal IR, rather than IrDA, such as the Samsung. Not sure how much luck you'll have with customer services though :suicide:

3. muzza1uk

muzza1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got one of the Digisenders and to be honest it's not been that good for me. Maybe it's because I live in an old but well built block of flats and the signal is restricted, or maybe there are just too many wireless devices ( I have many myself). I found i was getting the picture ok most of the time but the remote control was always poor and then became non-existant to the point it was downright painful. I ended up removing it from my set up recently when I bought a new TV and had a tidy up behind the back.

Can't suggest a solution just thought I'd share my issues with the above

Muzza