• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remote Dimmers and Spotlights...

jellybeard999

Established Member
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=remote dimmer&source=15&SD=Y

Firstly, anyone any experience with the above ?

My room has a single standard light at the moment, im interested in changing this, was thinking of an uplighter, but might be tempted to change for some spotlights. My room is fairly small, so 5 would be enough (1 in the center where the light is now, and 4 towards the corners). As i understand, the spots daisy chain, so id put the centre one in first, then link the other 4 ? Do i chase the wire from in the room ? or would i have to go into the attic (upstairs bedroom) ?

Would the 5 dimmers then be operable from the single switch ? and be fine with a dimmer ?

Any advice appreciated.

Steve1951

Established Member
Hi
The remote is fine Smiths are a respected name.There are loads of others too in various finishes.

To wire the spots ........do you mean cutting holes in the celing and them being flush (GU10s) if so done from the loft.
You almost never chase out a ceiling.You would need a 20amp 4 way JB and some 1.00mm or 1.5mm CABLE (not flex).

I do this sort of thing every day,so its easy and I have all the tools (obviously).

If you are new to it please be careful....oh and knock off the lighting breakers or remove the fuse carriers if its an old board.

Apologies if you know all this already.

Steve

Steve1951

Established Member
Sorry forgot if 5 x GU10 @50watts thats 250 watts the dimmer is rated at 300Watts .

So yes to the last question

Hi-Def

Established Member
have you checked out varilight remote dimmers there IR too and can be had in much better finishes for the same kind of money

Steve1951

Established Member
Hi Hi Def

Yeah absolutely correct,but I didnt want to confuse matters.

I thought it might be getting a bit complicated as it was.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom