Remote Desktop Problem.

Rog69

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a setup where I need to install a remote desktop connection between 2 machines but my experience with this is limited and it's proving more problematic than I anticipated.

I have a Windows 7 machine with 2 network cards, one is connected to the office network and the other is connected directly via a crossover cable to another PC and setup with a static IP address at both ends, the other PC is running XP Pro. The XP machine is an embedded computer inside a piece of machinery and can't be allowed to connect to the internet. It has to be connected to the Windows 7 machine in this way so that software installed on it can control the machine that the XP PC lives in.

My problem is that I need to setup a remote desktop connection so that the XP machine can be accessed via the Win7 machine (The Xp machine has no screen, mouse or keyboard). I have tried a few different remote desktop apps (Team Viewer, Splashtop and Ultra VNC ) but these all seem to need to connect to the internet on the XP machine to be able to register or function.

So, any suggestions to something that I can use or a way around this?

I don't recall VNC needing Internet access either - I use it locally with no drama.

I wonder if it may be a simple routing issue: Have you bound up your PC---PC link using a different IP subnet to your "office" network or the same one...? I'd do the former, for example, use 192.168.1.X/24 on you "office" network, then use 192.168.2.x/24 on the PC---PC link.

Maybe it's worth you posting up your IP addressing regime. If you're using private IP addresses (192.168.X.Y or 172.1X.Y.Z or 10.X.Y.Z) you're not publishing anything sensative.

THanks for the replies, It's all sorted now. After trying and failing to use the software listed in my first post (as insisted upon by the customer), I told thier IT dept to sort it and they ended up using the built in Windows capability anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom