Remote desktop login with mce without logging out current user

W

Werner

Now that mce machines are all the rage, there is one feature that is sorely missing....being able to log into the mce machine remotely (using remote desktop aka terminal services) but without logging out the current user. We all have these pretty powerful systems under our tv, but doing some maintenance can be difficult due to the poor resoloution of the tv. Or perhaps someone is watching something at the time, so you cant quit the mce interface.

Using this
http://profiles.indesolutions.com/paul/tech/archives/000064.html
it is now entirely possible to have one user watching mce live tv, and then logging into the mce machine from another location to change some settings, or perhaps install some software etc.

P.S. I have tested this about half hour ago and it worked fine and survivied multiple reboots, I am so happy now:)

Enjoy:)

S

sAVer

Werner, does this work with XP Home ed or just Pro? The DMSII comes with Home Edition doesn't it?

W

Werner

erm..confusion.

This works with the pro version of xp (at least, I have used a mce2005 version)

Mce2005 is based on xp pro except for the "cant join a network domain"

The dms2 ships with mce2005.

<edit> must have sp2 installed too...</edit>

kolabere

Novice Member
Werner said:
erm..confusion.

This works with the pro version of xp (at least, I have used a mce2005 version)

Mce2005 is based on xp pro except for the "cant join a network domain"

The dms2 ships with mce2005.

<edit> must have sp2 installed too...</edit>
Werner, Do I need XP Pro on both machines, or can I run the MCE machine remotely (wi-fi network) from a XP Home machine?

Dave_M

Standard Member
VNC is a remote control mechanism that takes over whatever the machine is doing. It's useful for MCE PCs as it allows remote access from a real (and therefore readable) monitor where the TV connected doesn't have high enough resolution to be readable.

Terminal Services allows multiple logins, so somebody can be watching TV using the MCE while admin work goes on behind the scenes.

There were some issues with the method for enabling terminal services described on the link supplied by Werner - I've posted corrections to that site.

Worth noting that the hack described on that link will almost certainly need reapplying from time to time as Windows Auto Update will occasionally patch the terminal services binaries.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom