Remote controlled subs

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by TheSeer, May 5, 2004.

1. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, so I am a lazy git............... I just hate having to get up to change settings..........

What subs are available that have remote control of the various different control paramaters (gain, cross-over freq, phase etc) and that cost around £1000 - £1500?

I know that some of the REL ST range do have remote control and also the pricier KEF subs.

Any more out there and does anyone know if SVS or BW have any plans to launch remote controlled subs?

Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    The only subs that I know of that are RC are the Velodyne Digital Drive subs or their older (discontinued) HGS range. But the DD subs start from £2000 for the DD-10
    Take a look in the classified section of the forum, you might find a Velodyne HGS sub up for grabs within your budget.

Mark.

3. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your sub is set up correctly it should not require adjusting.

This is the reason most subs don't come with a Remote Control, when they are positioned and are the right size for the environment they are virtually set & forget.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The only time I have had to adjust my sub in the last year was when my young son got behind it and twiddled with all the dials.

A remote control is useful for setting up a subwoofer but is an expensive extra cost for something that isn't used that often.

Far better to select your sub based on performance and not frippery but if you insist, I believe that some of the Yamaha subs come with remote controls.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Beg to differ Spearmint.

Being able to adjust the sub from the listening position offers advantages when a willing assistant is not available. By the time you've got up. Run over to the sub. Then got back to the listening position. Any changes made will probably go unnoticed.

A remote might also be handy if the sub should start bottoming out at high level on the latest sub killer DVD. Turning the sub down would allow the film to continue without so much drama.

The real downside is yet another remote in the house. Though I'm not convinced these "do it all" universal remotes aren't more of a pain than grabbing the dedicated one you know so well.

The electronics industry really hasn't scraped the suface of the remote problem in the modern AV household IMO. A glance at the coffee table reveals six remotes (and counting).:mad:

I suppose we're just going to have to wait for Windoze to offer voice control of anything connected to a mains plug? :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, when I was setting up my SVS :boring: I used a 3 metre length of dowel with a bit of clear hose forced over the end. This fitted onto the knobs of the Bash amp perfectly once I'd mastered holding the "fishing rod" steadily enough. :clown:

Nimby :D

6. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nimby....

That is good; this is what makes these forums.

If you are using an SPL meter, I don't understand this paragraph? If you are trying to set up your sub by ear you are wasting your time, even with a remote control.

Two things come to mind with this statement, either the sub is not calibrated, or not suitable for the job. The volume remote of the amp will achieve the same results.

There you go my .02 worth of useless information :thumbsup:

7. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey TheSeer...

If you are still keen, this sub comes with a remote control.

[​IMG]

Bladder Buster

It's Huge, loud, deep and very low in distortion……that is….until you turn it up so loud that the room distorts!!!!!

This 2 Metre tall generator of bass will force all fluids to vacate your body when used at levels that will put the foundations of your house under stress!

This is probably the only Sub-woofer that should come with its own health warning!

Its available as a three sided design or as a 180mm (7”) deep panel enabling in-wall installation.

For those who need the most, then this monster is for you!

Unique Features
    Our 12” long throw woofers have been designed for transient speed and low distortion.

The revolutionary passive radiator design compensates for the non-linear characteristics of air thus giving very low distortion even at high sound pressure levels (SPL)

The 1000 watt D-Class amp drives all six woofers with ease and controls their movements with staggering performance.

Comes with its own Remote Control.

Listening Characteristics
    This subwoofer sets new standards for dynamics and headroom. Even at low SPL levels it can cause your body to inject copious amounts of adrenaline into your blood stream. You have been warned.

Finish Options
    Any Colour in Gloss or Satin, 15 wood Veneers Options, Two Carbon Fibre Options, Woven Aluminium

:thumbsup:

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Now I've heard everything - an Australian recommending a product made in New Zealand ;)

9. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Originally posted by Spearmint

"That is good; this is what makes these forums."

You're too kind! :blush:

"If you are using an SPL meter, I don't understand this paragraph? If you are trying to set up your sub by ear you are wasting your time, even with a remote control."

They don't call me SPLMan for nothing! :boring:

"Two things come to mind with this statement, either the sub is not calibrated, or not suitable for the job. The volume remote of the amp will achieve the same results."

It's an imperfect world! :D

"There you go my .02 worth of useless information :thumbsup:"

No information is worthless. It just needs filtering.

Are you spamming us with the Bladder Buster blurb? :devil:
    Or simply quoting the manufacturer? :p

Nimby ;)

10. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good pick up Ian :smashin:

But how about we keep this to ourselves, I would hate this to get around :)

You do realise those Kiwi's are mean SOB's

Hi Nimby...

From the Manufacturer.

Recommended Full Retail Price NZD$13,995 pair

I wouldn't spam you guys :D

11. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Welcome aboard. We need all the jokers we can get. Even the antipodean variety. We're not proud. :blush:

Nimby

12. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gee thanks Nimby...

I don't know how I didn't find this forum sooner, have you guys be hiding it from me? :)

Bit like me "The thunder from Down Under" :laugh:

13. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    TheSeer, the Kef PSW4000 has a remote and at RRP of £1200 should be in your price range.
    Problem is I have not come across anyone in Hampshire that stocks it, so auditioning may be a little more difficult.

14. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I've now had two subs on home loan - a REL Strata 5 (remote controlled). I also have finally managed to get a BW ASW750 on home loan.

The BW is the better sub-woofer than the Strata 5 - The ASW750 is awesome with movies. But I have found it MUCH harder to get the ASW750 integrated for stereo listening than the Strata and I put this partly down to not having remote control of the ASW750. I have found that the task of setting up a sub is much more time-consuming than I thought and so is made far easier with a remote control.

I think I am going to delay the sub purchase for a while - I reckon it is only a matter of time before most subs do come with RC. Question is: Can I hold out that long...........? My laziness and miserliness tendencies certainly ought to help in this regard......:D

Stellavision:

Thanks for the info on the KEF PSW4000. I will look into it but, as you say, it may not be that easy to get a demo or home loan. I'm also dubious about whether its going to be as good as the ASW750 which is the only peice of hi-fi equipment that has managed to put a smile on my wife's face.........

Nimby:

You really should look into getting a philips pronto remote control or something similar. Once you've managed to learn how to program it and customise it to your needs it really does smash the multi-remote problem. I now only have one remote to control 6 peices of kit and the multiple remotes are banished to the loft. System switch-on / off is a single button. Fantastic - just a shame that the colour ones are SO expensive.

And yes, I've been there with the dowel-based remote control many years ago..........

Thanks again

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    Originally posted by TheSeer

Nimby:

"You really should look into getting a philips pronto remote control or something similar. Once you've managed to learn how to"

Thanks Seer,

I did buy a Philips universal remote. A simple 9 quid one from the supermaket on special offer. It was easily the best of the bunch that I looked at! I would even recommend it. :)

I looked at the higher priced models from several makers but hated the mass of tiny buttons.
    The cheaper Philips has far fewer buttons with a row of device selection buttons along the top.
    Provided I remember to press one of these first it works well enough. Though the buttons below do odd things. Which all have to be remembered. Entertaining at times but also irritating.

Thankfully my Naim pre/power & SVS sub don't even have remotes.
    I have a wife instead! She's always running over to turn them UP! :rotfl:

Nimby

BTW If the 750 makes your wife smile what are you waiting for? Apart from ALL that money? :eek:

What impressed her? The performance or the size of it? :oops:

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have always found it a relatively simple matter as once having found a reasonable gain level on the subwoofer the rest of the fine tuning is done in the amp and that has a remorte control.

The majority of the time and experimentation is taken up with moving the sub around ever so slightly to get the best position and a remote won't help you there.

17. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well put Ian...

This is the same way I set up single subs..

18. craigsub

craigsub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even in England you cannot get away from me...:clap:

19. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nimby

BTW If the 750 makes your wife smile what are you waiting for? Apart from ALL that money?

What impressed her? The performance or the size of it?

She must have been impressed with the sub-terranean vibrations.....I obviously have no hope of competing....;)

Yes, I am tempted but I will wait a bit.......:(

IanJ

I have always found it a relatively simple matter as once having found a reasonable gain level on the subwoofer the rest of the fine tuning is done in the amp and that has a remorte control.

The majority of the time and experimentation is taken up with moving the sub around ever so slightly to get the best position and a remote won't help you there.

But don't factors like placement, gain & cross-over frequency all interact with each other? Move the sub into a corner & you can cut the gain a little?

Rgds

20. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haaaa..... Mr Craigsub!!

These poor blokes/sheilas (Guys/Gals) have no idea what they are in for letting us in here :D

It is always good interacting with you Craig, I am sure you will create some legendary threads here. :smashin:

TheSeer

This is very true, but you also need to keep it simple, these are only subwoofers, and are meant to be enjoyed.

The first thing is to set your speakers to small, bypass the subs xover, then find a suitable location for the sub, make sure it sounds good, then calibrate it.

After this if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of smoothing out the in room response then you move onto the next step, of freq sweeps/RTA, and room treatment/EQ.

21. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Salisbury Hifi are quoting them......not too far from Sarfsee!