• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Remote controlled speaker switch?

patwestlake

Established Member
All i'm after....... Is a two or three way speaker switch with remote control. I would like to aim a sonos amp at one of two or three pairs of speakers. These will all be in the loft, so manual switching isn't an option. All ideas welcome!

Pat

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Most remotes are Infra-Red meaning you have to have line-of-sight to the receiver. It is possible to get around that, but it will be an extra expense for an Infra-Red extender, which has a receiver in the room with and an RF (radio) transmitter, that send to the receiver which transmits Infra-Red in the remote room.

Now the problem is finding a Switch Box with a Remote. I think that might be possible, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Steve/bluewizard

patwestlake

Established Member
Hi Steve,

Hmmm, and from the US as well. I can see I'm going to have to build one!

I think it's easiest to take a proper speaker switch (to guarantee the minimum impedances) and just replace the manual switches with electronic ones. I feel some eBay and some PCB butchery coming on!

I just cannot believe that I'm the only person after one!:eek:

Many regards, Pat

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I just cannot believe that I'm the only person after one!:eek:
Most people looking to run multiple speakers from a single source want to run run multiple speaker pairs at the same time, not merely to select one pair from a set of speaker pairs. Minimally they need impedance matching, more likely they'll run a multizone amplifier (in your case, a 3 zone amp) or full home setup. Also most people are happy to use in-wall panels with hidden wiring. As such, there is in fact very little demand for the IR controlled passive switch you're looking for.

Options for you include the Xantech SR21 (select one of two pairs - you said "two or three") or the HACS AB8SS (8 pairs, from 2 inputs)

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I would not get too hung up on impedance with just 2 sets of speakers. how about this SR4 - LPRS - REMOTE CONTROL 4CH RELAY | CPC From This Range and simply wire each speaker up to its own relay. This remote will work over a normal sized house without issue. Just check you can set the relays to latch.

With 4 x 8 ohm speakers and a stereo output from the Sonos, you will never go below 4 ohms per side, so this will be fine.

The only thing you will not get is level control in each room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom