1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote controlled dimming of floor lamps

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by pringtef, Jul 4, 2004.

1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'm looking for the cheapest reliable to be able to dim two floor lamps from a remote control.

The lights in question are a couple of halogen uplighters, using 75W bulbs. I'm assuming because it doesn't use a transformer that they are 240V ones.

Can anyone advise what the best option for this is?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
  3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Youcould also have a look in your local B&Q, they do a very nce brushed stainless steel wallmount touch sensitive remote dimmer I've got one in my movie room and you can teach" it to recognise a command from any remote control......... deadly :cool:

It's like this one in appearance - but it's got a black dot in the middle of the touch sensitive button - about £22, IIRC.

You could use a surface mount socket box wired to a 13 amp plug and take the feeds off to the lamps, or off to a double socket surface mounted alongside, or if you've got a double sacket on a wall, widen it to accomodate the remote switch alongside. If you're not comfortable wiring this stuff up, get in an electrician - far safer.

The only other alternative is to use x10 modules on the sockets for the lamps. If you do a search on "x10" you should turn up a link hereto a supplier - I can't recall the name offhand.

Sean G.

EDIT: I'm going to leave the spelling errors here as an example of my awful late-night typing.................. :blush:

4. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers for that. I've absolutely no experience electrically of wiring, other than plugs, so I may hold back on the first option.

I'd been looking at X10, but my only concern with this is that I've read some comments on sites that it can be unreliable at best.

Can anyone comment?

cheers,

Timbo

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use X10 which gives me power on off control of my four power amps, projector and sub. I control everything through a Marantz RC5000 and have had no problems at all. Its very easy to set up and to use.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I use X10 too and have always found it to be very reliable. The one thing which can interfere with it is low voltage haolgen tranformers nearby, they seem to put out some noise onto the line which stops the signals working properly. That said, if your talking about using a floor lamp it should be fine as its not going to be on the same circuit as any low voltage halogens you might have.

An IR receiver and an appliance module from www.letsautomate.co.uk would cost about £40-50, but sfter that you can add loads of light switches/modules cheaply and easily. If you're just talking about dimming a plug in floor lamp then there's no wiring to do at all.

HTH
    Owain

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That's sold the idea then, shall go for that.

cheers folks

8. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Keep an eye out (or post a wanted message) on the classifieds - that's where the bulk of my X-10 stuff has come from.

Fleabay also throws up a few items now and then.

Cheers
    Kevin.