Remote controlled dimmer switch

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what do I need to buy ?
We have a dimmer switch at moment but was thinking of a remote controlled one (which I could ideally "map" to my harmony remote) as the wife sometimes wants the lights dimming but has baby in arms falling asleep and does not want to get up and wake her etc

I have the same as the above, work well and are a good price.

Tap 6 times ?
Do you get remote with it ?

Once you have installed the remote dimmer, you just tap the sensor on the dimmer 6 times and it goes into learning mode, you can use any remote you wish, just pick a spare button on any remote and fire it at the dimmer, it will now control the dimmer if you ever want to change the remote in use just tap it again 6 times and use an alternative remote.

No the remote is not included, but i am sure you have enough on the coffee table already, just use your main remote and use a not already used button.

I've just converted from Varilight to Philips Hue and Lux light bulbs..blooming awesome and you can setup automated on / off cycles to make it look like your home...you can also control them via an app.

I got a remote control dimmer. Infact I have 2. Kids are useful for something after all.

Edit: I have 3, really should keep an eye on how many kids I have :facepalm:

Last edited:
Have a varilight and it works fine with my Harmony. It took a little bit of trial and error to get it working but once set up it has been solid.

Varilight are also a very good UK Company. My first varilight developed a fault after 3 years. I contactec varilight asking if it was possible to buy replacement parts - mine was a dual switch and only one had failed - and they simply replued "retrun it and we will replace for free".

Please be aware that you need different models for traditional bulbs and for LEDs. Unfortunately the LED versions are more expensive.

Cheers,

Nigel

Varilight are also a very good UK Company.

I second this. We moved house last summer and I changed all the bulbs to LED, which meant LED capable dimmers. I chose the Varilight V-Pro range as these are LED capable - except I had an odd issue with one or two of the dimmer modules where it would put them into reset mode.

Varilight swapped not only the modules that had the problem with ones with a newer software version, but ALL the modules I had bought, about 15 in total!

On the subject of LED capable, I'm not sure the remote dimmers linked to are LED capable - they certainly weren't in the older models I had at my last house.

I think you need the V-Pro range of touch/remote dimmers too: VARILIGHT V-Pro Eclipse Dimmer Series - Suitable for Most Dimmable LEDs

you just tap the sensor on the dimmer 6 times and it goes into learning mode

When I had them in my last house, this confused the hell out of me. There I was thinking you taught the remote control the dimmer signal, but you're teaching the dimmer the remote signal, so the dimmer goes into learning mode, not the remote!

Same with me, had to upgrade to the varilight v-pro one when I changed to leds. Virtually the same look, with the added bonus of a nice blue 'halo' for asthetics :)

Really handy and works a treat, but at £30 ish plus postage it's a a bit steep (especially if you mess up installing the first one so have to buy a second, non burny one.. oops!)

Stupid question, but can they still be used in manual mode ?
Bit of an arse to have to fumble in dark for remote to turn light on if not

Yes you just touch the silver bit once to turn on at the last setting and hold on to it to get it to cycle through...

Same with me, had to upgrade to the varilight v-pro one when I changed to leds. Virtually the same look, with the added bonus of a nice blue 'halo' for asthetics :)

Really handy and works a treat, but at £30 ish plus postage it's a a bit steep (especially if you mess up installing the first one so have to buy a second, non burny one.. oops!)

Now you tell me after I've just bought LED bulbs :).

So I ordered one from their recommended supplier for £23.75 delivered :)

Another dumb question
What are led bulbs ? Can they fit into standard light fittings ?
Can you get them with all types of bulbs, we have mixture, thin screw in candle type ones as wall lights dump bayonet ones in ceiling etc

Now you tell me after I've just bought LED bulbs :).

So I ordered one from their recommended supplier for £23.75 delivered :)
Could you point me to what it was you ordered if I was to go led

Sure...
Assuming I ordered the right one :rolleyes:

And do I get any advantages with led bulbs

Much lower power consumption than even a CFL, instant start up, ludicrously long life span*

*Only in theory.

LED's should last up to 100,000 hours. Unfortunately in a desperate desire to claim an outrageous light output many of them are overdriven by badly controlled cheap circuitry and can burn out in months or even weeks.

Downside: Good LED bulbs are very expensive.

Much lower power consumption than even a CFL, instant start up, ludicrously long life span*

*Only in theory.

LED's should last up to 100,000 hours. Unfortunately in a desperate desire to claim an outrageous light output many of them are overdriven by badly controlled cheap circuitry and can burn out in months or even weeks.

Downside: Good LED bulbs are very expensive.

Agreed. Other downside is you tend to get a colder, more clinical, whiter colour.

Cheers,

Nigel

You can choose colours Nigel. You can get anything from Ice blue to a warm candlelight. Assuming the seller is honest about what they have :)

I do find they can vary even amongst the same colour temperature (allegedly).

Had a fair few fail, so doubt any will last the five years or whatever they were promised.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom