1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control the 4805's power on/off idea !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Great idea for those with a ceiling mounted Infocus 4805 annoyed by the remote only putting the pj into standby and not shutting it off completely!

I bought a pack of three remote controlled plug sockets from B&Q for £20!!
    The remote works via radio control, not infra-red so it will even work through walls, ceilings etc. You just plug one of these into your socket, plug your electrical unit into this device and hey presto, you can turn the power on and off at will. great for remote controlled lighting too. plug lamps into these and you can turn off and on the lights when your movie starts without having to keep getting up and down!

Great idea and sensibly priced!

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they're a handy gadget but I wouldn't recommend using with a PJ - too much chance of inadvertently powering it off, thereby prematurely ageing/damaging/blowing the lamp ;)

:smoke:

3. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good idea, but if I recall correctly I've read that the infocus keeps the fan running on low for a little while after soft switch off to help cool the lamp. There must be a reason for this. Pulling the plug (as these remote boxes effectily do) without this cooling period may cause problems in the long run. Just my 2p, it may equally be no problem at all.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be more concerned about "pulling the plug" when the PJ's lamp is running - no cooling down period at all :eek: .

5. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Ok, Ok !!!!..lol It was just a thought!
    The prob with the 4805 is that it will ALWAYS stay in standby with the fan running when switched off by it's remote, If it's stuck on the ceiling, it's a bit of a pain to either having to keep climbing up to flick the switch, or going to the plug socket and switching it off ... But I agree, the chance of accidently turning it off whilst it's running would be a danger.
    So juts stick to controlling your lighting! Not as sophisticated as Crestron but a darn site cheaper !