1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote Control Rip Off

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by marck, Nov 17, 2004.

1. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am amazed as to how much the new colour remote controls are - the RU980 is around £600!
    How can it cost so much? Ok it has a colour screen. But it has very little memory, no super processor and is only a remote control. If you consider that you could buy a top of the range PDA for a lot less than that, why should it cost so much.

I would love to change my rather dull grey Pronto, but am just not prepared to shell out that much money for something which does not justify its price tag.

Can anyone explain why they are just so expensive?!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Small market high development costs Pronto range the only choice under £3k.... get a web pad or PDA and omniremote software or similar

3. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is what I am considering... But I still think the prices of the remotes are far too high...

4. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all supply and demand. There's very little demand for remotes like the colour Prontos, but the people that want them are usually prepared to pay for them. Look at it this way, if you've just spent £20,000 building a home theatre in your basement, what's another £600 for a fancy remote.

People with cheap systems tend to buy cheap remotes.

5. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    yeah but if they practically have similar features, i.e. colour screen, high memory etc features that are just more than sufficient for a system that you currently have, then why the expensive remote when the other is alot cheaper and does what you want. the only reason i see to stick with the expensive remote is to keep the same brand if your whole system is the same name brand.

6. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly, I am sure if they reduced the prices of these controls they would sell a significant amount more - the only reason why people are not buying them is the cost.
    Maybe an idea, would be to join forces with one of the major PDA suppliers...

7. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    yeah i agree with you marck, if they reduce prices they probably will sell more as it would be at the level of where it would make people consider buying it rather than looking at it, finding the cost and then deciding not to get because of the cost. at least if the cost was at a level where people would consider buying it and matching it against other remotes, there is more chance that they would talk about it socially via forums, word of mouth by talking about it to work mates, friends and family thus providing free publicity and exposure to the brand name.

well, its just my thought, im just a student and dont have money so i cant be in that situation to justify whether it would be worth to purchase a £600 remote control! for my system, maybe w

8. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,330
    Honestly, I doubt that if you dropped the price of a £600 super programable remote to £100 you would sell 6 times as many units. Your manufacturing, shipping and returns cost would go up by 6 times so even if you did you would still make less profit.

I've had a black and white pronto for a couple of years and still haven't 'finished' programming it. I have this funny idea that its to make watching films easier not to take up chunks of my valuable leisure time. There must be quite a small number of people who have enough equipment to make one of these worth buying and enough skills, time and patience to program it up to the point where it's useful.

That said I'm baffled by the desire for a colour screen at all other, than the 'oooh' factor. I only look at my pronto to find the button to press, then I look back at the screen. Why does it need to be in colour?

9. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    $600 - that is cheap! Are there any drawbacks to buying the US model?

Begs the question, how can it cost DOUBLE in this country..!!

11. Laingy

Laingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously you have to pay for VAT, but apparently they should work perfectly, all they are doing is sending out infrared signals, and I think they are powered by batteries. There are a number of posts on this forum which mention companies who have supplied the US version and they have had no problems.

regards

12. The Robman

The Robman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything costs more in England! I was amazed at how cheap the cost of living is over here in the States when I first moved here from London, and we pay alot less income tax too!

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,462
    Get the US model TSU7000 (RU980) delivered to your door, with US/UK power adpater for £400!! And i paid no VAT or customs charges!

Sod paying the UK price of £600+

14. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mjn, where did you buy the remote from? Amazon have it $600, but I am sure I will get hit with VAT charges...

Thanks
    Marck.

15. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,462
  16. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mjn,

I believe you bought the American model, am I right?
    If so did you run into any issues with that.

- content of the database
    - RF working of another frequency in the US
    - X10 support

17. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I considered the Pronto 970 - bid on a few on eBay,but they all went for silly money.Ended up buying a Siemens Simpad SL4,and used in conjunction with Wincesofts RCII software,it's a Pronto killer if ever there was one - all for less than 200 quid!

18. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Got my TSU7000 from Bluedo as well. I haven't bothered to use the database as learning the signal is very quick and easy. The odd failure to learn but nothing that didn't work fine the second time round.

It's not the easiest thing in the world to set up :confused: but, having spent a good chunk of the weekend working on it, I'm getting the hang of it. I think it'll be one of those things that you're always tweaking and never entirely satisfied with!

But it does look gorgeous! :clap:

I bought the US RF extender with it as well but haven't got round to connecting it up yet. I'll be doing that in the next couple of days.

If you look on Remote Central, there's loads of stuff about the Pronto Pro NG controlling X-10 items, so I can't imagine that there'd be a problem with it. Try a post over there if you want to find out more.

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,462
    The database...pah....i just deleted it..and learnt new codes, well, i actually just used them from my B&W pronto.

I have no RF devices, so didn't purchase the RF module, and i don't use X10 i'm afraid.

20. FairyCake

FairyCake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it only learn IR or will it learn RF too.

21. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to be a little confusion with the RF side of the Pronto.

The Pronto does not control RF devices, it merely sends out an RF signal from the remote which is received by an RF extender located, say in a cupboard or where the components to control are located out of IR sight.

The RF extender then converts the RF back into IR and permits you to control the IR components.