Remote control problem on Sky+ HD box since installation of new BT Smart Hub 2

smartie1947

Established Member
Reaction score
I received a new Smart Hub 2 router from BT last week as part of their switch from copper to fibre broadband. I had resisted their efforts to upgrade me to fibre in the past as I only use broadband for occasional surfing, shopping and on-line banking. Although the switchover date to fibre is not until 27/7/20, they advised me to install right away. The process was relatively painless and I soon had a working broadband connection connection.
My problem was that with the connection from the new router I could not access either the Connection Guide or any apps using my Sky remote control. Pressing the tv guide button on the remote allowed me to access the tv guide screen and the Planner screen but try as I might I could tab no further down. After approx 10 seconds of course Sky covered both options with selections from Sky. I had never had a problem with my previous router accessing either CG or apps.
On the Settings menu section Network it clearly shows "Connection to Broadband Router =OK.
To date I have reset my remote to the latest Samsung code successfully. I have reset my router connection using the WPS button and it confirms a valid connection and I have done a Sky box rebuild all to no avail. I'm stumped Can anybody help. I may not be able to respond to any replies for 2-3 days as I have a family reunion after 12 weeks in lockdown !!!!

Are you able to access the internet from any other device connected to the router?
The Sky network connection “Connection to Broadband Router = OK” message simply means that it's connected to your router, it doesn't confirm the router is connected to the internet.

Last edited:
Jaycee
Thanks for your response. I have now been able to ally my router, which has a valid internet connection to my Sky box. I entered the model number and password which were accepted and the Skybox intimated that I now had a valid connection. I still am unable to tab down to my apps with my remote control but consider that I may have to reset my Skybox to achieve that. What do you think?

Another aspect I have just noticed is that when I first switch on the Skybox and the connection guide appears for a short period the box marked "cablebox" is highlighted and a blue tick is shown in that box. Just before it disappears from view the highlight seems to disappear although the tick remains.

I still am unable to tab down to my apps with my remote control

Are you referring to apps on your TV?
If you have a smart connected TV you need to reconnect that to the new Sky router by resetting the TV's network connection, doing a WiFi scan and when it finds your router enter your new password.

Another aspect I have just noticed is that when I first switch on the Skybox and the connection guide appears for a short period the box marked "cablebox" is highlighted and a blue tick is shown in that box. Just before it disappears from view the highlight seems to disappear although the tick remains.

What do you mean by the “connection guide”?
I suspect this is your TV that's generating this and the input your Sky box is connected to has been renamed or selected from pre-installed input labels as “cablebox”.
It's nothing to be concerned about.

JayCee
My sincere apologies. I suddenly realised in bed last night that I accessed "Apps" through my tv and not my Skybox as I had been attempting to do. Got up this morning and set up a broadband connection on my tv and can now access apps.
Whilst my time is immaterial I regret having wasted so much of yours. Thanks again for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom