1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control pre-amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Antpink, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    All,
    Hope someone can help. I have a Meridian CD player hooked to a amp set-up comprising pre-amp and 2xpower amps - the amp stage is all valve, from Hong Kong manufactrer Audio Space - think the units are made in China. The speakers are Proac 125's and the sound is very lovely. The problem is that for useable volume, I am right at the bottom end of the dial, and for very low levels (at night) I am only adjusting through very small increments to go from just about ok to too loud for the household. I would also like to get a remote controllable volume pot (source switching not an issue) cos I am lazy. I am wondering if it would be possible to either (a) get a passive pre-amp, like Creek, but do not know if the Meridian provides a strong enough signal direct, or (b) look for a new pre-amp. I have a strange idea ot partner a 502 pre from ebay, or clearance stock from dealers, but have no idea if this will be a good mixture - very much solid state to valve combo?
    Any advice, experience, input would be muchly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance and a very happy Christmas to all. Hope Santa brings all those AV and Hifi goodies you've all been hankering for through the year!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi there...is that the AudioSpace 300B integrated,or power amp?...

If you're looking for a remote controlled pot,there are a few alternatives,and I've used them in similar situations to yours,as an attenuator between a CD player and valved power amps,and now to attentuate CD into an Earmax H/phone amp.

The Meridian will output 2V at maximum,which is the standard for CD players,although some manufacturers have been known to run higher still,and I'd imagine that this is the problem with your amp,which may well have a moderately good input sensitivity.

The alternatives would be either something like a passive preamp,and there are remote controlled ones as you mention,like the Creek,which is a perfectly decent budget priced one,although at a much higher price,the Audio Synthesis Passion Ultimate(!) is a much better product,with virtually no sound contribution of it's own,and the equal of active preamps costing several thousand pounds.

A second and very much cheaper alternative is to have a set of attenuating interconnects made up for you,by a local dealer,to drop the input by about half,and this should accomplish what you want,without resorting to potentially expensive passive preamps,or losing the sound you like by adding an active preamp.

Happy Xmas...hope that helps.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
  4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks for the suggestions - I have seen the rothwell attenuators advertised and am quite tempted by them. I also have seen a unit by Jolida (HK) that is apparently specifically designed to add remote functionality by adding a volume control stage between the source and a valve pre-amp, which I might look at next year (only due for release in Jan 2005). I like the idea of a Creek, which I might get as they are so cheap, just as a test, but am worried about sound quality degradation. Of course, it may be that I sell the lot and go for Quad pre/power (909) instead..... mmm