remote control - infra red extender

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by stevomacca, Nov 28, 2010.

1. stevomacca

stevomacca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking at the IRBKIT from keene to allow my logitech harmony to control my panasonic plasma, yamaha soundbar and sky hd box.
    All of the kit is inside the chimneybreast wall with only the tv on display. I want to just have the small round receiver (IRPMR) in the wall below the tv and then all the kit hooked up to that.
    I have no real idea what parts i need for this to work, can somebody help please?
    Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    That is all you need, receiver and the dist. amp. I use the same kit myself, except I use a wall plate. The kit comes with a repeater (wand) to connect to the output to relay the commands to your equipment.

3. stevomacca

stevomacca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks dave, does the kit come with the 3 connectors i'll need for my 3 pieces of AV equipment?

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you check you will see what each kit contains. There are different kits.

I think the one you're looking for is IRBKITPB which comes with two emitters. If you want three, you will need to purchase another separately. I just use one as my equipment is close together. It really depends where you site the emitter wand. As long as it has line of sight it will work.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Keep in mind that there still has to be space inside the enclosure for the IR light to reach the various IR receivers.

From what I've read, some of the remote or extended transmitter/receivers convert any infrared signal they receive into radio wave, the radio waves are captured by the IR receiver, and converted back to infrared signals.

So, again, those infrared signals still have to be dispersed enough to reach their respective equipment IR receivers. This is science, not magic. The advantage is that the remote IR transmitter/receiver works by radio waves and can work through walls, so you equipment could technically be in a completely different room and it would still work. Say the equipment is in a hall closet and the the IR/RF transmitter is in the Home Cinema room.

As long as your enclosed equipment space has room for this to happen, you should be OK.

I'm more than willing to be corrected on this, but this is my impression of how IR transmitter/receivers work.

One additional note, make sure your enclosed equipment space has sufficient cooling for the equipment contained in it.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010