1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

remote control help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Sharonkelly, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Sharonkelly

Sharonkelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK here goes. Newby to the site and to the world of AV generally. Have just bought my husband a flat screen TV (Pioneer PDP-434HDE). He already has a home cinema system (Pioneer XV-DV55), a video (Toshiba V-858B) and an ntl cable tv box. Thing is, there is now no room on the coffee table for anything other than remote controls - 4 of them. Is there any way of combining them all into one? One of the instruction manuals tried to show me how using letter codes but it didn't work. Any advice very gratefully received.
    Also, where on the wall should this screen go? Wall painting height? TV-on-a-stand height?

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sharon, have a look at www.remotecentral.com - its a website dedicated to remote controls and it has lots of reviews of all the different types available. There are also dedicated forums on the site that can help you with any direct questions you might have regarding remotes.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi Sharonkelly and welcome to the forum.

As you might have guessed, as with all things AV there are loads of choices of which remote along with a huge range of prices.

You can get a simple remote that has all hard buttons and you just tell it what equipment, via setup codes, it controls. These start from £20-£30 up.
    You then have the famous (well on here anyway) Pronto touch screen remotes. These have very few hard buttons. Instead they have a touch screen that you programme the buttons you require, either on a PC or directly on the remote. These cost from around £150.
    You then have colour screen versions of the Pronto. These often have more memory so can control more devices and often come with more accessories so you can stick all the boxes in a cabinet and still control them with the doors closed for example. These cost from about £500 up.

HTH,
    Mark.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dont know if it helps but I was bought a Mosaic One for all for £80 for my Birthday. I used to get 3-4 calls a day at work from my other half because of the 6 remote controls we had and the order in which thingss needed to be pressed. With the mosaic i now find myself redundant, breeze to set up and breeze to use, not as flexible as a pronto but at least you can relabel buttons to something sensible.

All six remotes have been replaced, there isnt anything the mosaic couldnt do, even programmed a screen of sky favourite channels

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sharonkelly = the height of the screen is a personal thing and there is no right answer - I have mine on an av stand (waist high) whilst we put my Brother's above his fireplace (head high). Get a large bit of card andput it in possible positions and see how you feel about it.

Remote control wise - A cheap solution is a small waste paper basket beside the chair to act as a repository (seriously). any of the above is good but my vote goes to my Ipaq 2210 running nevo (I wouldn't suggest buying an ipaq just to turn over the telly though, even if the they are stupidly cheap now - about £230)

http://www.remotecentral.com/nevo/

6. Sharonkelly

Sharonkelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. I love the idea of sticking everything in a cupboard and still being able to use the remote control (at present we have to open the doors coz I won't have all the boxes on display) but I don't really want to pay £500 for the privilege. So I think I'll go for the Mosaic One. Thanks again. This is a great site.

7. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Controlling kit inside of a cupboard is pretty cheap - you can buy a wireless extender which has two "boxes"; one that sits on top of your telly (or somewhere where it can "see" your remote control's signal) and the other sits inside the cupboard or in another room. The first box receives the signal from your remote control and passes it wirelessly, via radio waves, to the hidden box. That in turn sends out an IR signal to your kit, just as if you'd pointed the original remote at the kit yourself. You can buy these extenders for around £30-40. I think Maplins (the UK electronics retailer) do a "One-For-All" one for around £40. Another similar device is called PowerMid - have a search round the 'net for that, expect to pay a similar price. For more money, you can have a more reliable "wired" extension, that performs a similar job but uses a "network" of cabling.
    Anyway, my point is that you do not need to invest in an expensive remote control to get remote control extension. Again, the Remote Central website can give you a lot of background information. Also, check out www.letsautomate.com for the various infra-red extension devices.

8. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Only thing id say about the mosaic is, if you are a power remote user the lack of hard buttons (only has them for volume and channel and mute) may be off putting as you have to look at the remote to ensure you are looking at the right device abd right screen. Some people prefer to have buttons so they dont need to look at the control - for us this isnt an issue.

Also i have heard complaints about poor memory. But I have 6 devices 2 of which are 100% learned codes and I am using 5% of memory. I am currently creating 2 hibred devices that combine controls of 2 devices (like amp controls and dvd controls on same screen and Sky and TV controls). So for me this hasnt been an issue.

For me its an issue free device. The fact that I was able to set up a dvd player by simply saying device is dvd, brand is sony, having a list of 3 to choose from and simply testing each one by prssing a test button meant I could control the DVD in 30 seconds set up time, same for TV, sky and vcr. The only 2 devices that i needed some effort were the projector but all teh controls fitted on a single screen and the amp. The remote had the basic controls for an amp but missed a lot of extras that i use like night mode and source direct. Teaching it the codes was a breeze. But even this can be done without learning as you can ring up for the missing functions if they have them.

9. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sharon

On the remote issue, a lot depends on how interested you or your husband are in setting up and playing with a new techie gadget. If you have the time and the interest, the Pronto / PPC / IPAQ route is the way to go. It's not the cheapest route by any means, but it's by far the most flexible, and if taken to (some people say ridiculous) extreme, can be the most rewarding. Full colour, all singing all dancing touch screen remotes are the way to go, but only if you have the interest.

Personally I would not recommend the IPAQ/Nevo combination, it takes you out of the mainstream Pronto CCF standard for screen design. It's not perfect, but PDAWin gives full Pronto compatibility at a small price, and a Dell X3 would give you the same hardware capabilities as the Compaq at a lower price (I think).

But beware, it can be addictive. Have a look at the Pronto Pro full colour gallery at remotecentral to see how far some people are prepared to take it!