Remote control for PS3 - recommendations

RussWWFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am the proud new owner of a PS3 80GB, having got it for £21o pre owned today :)

But enough of that guff, as part of paying for it, I've decided to bid farewell to my trusty Sony DVD recorder, which is currently residing on eBay

What I'd like to do then, is get a remote control for the DVD function. I was thinking of 3 options.

Get a cheapo like this one Media Remote Control For PS3 Game Console Blu Ray DVD on eBay, also, Sony PlayStation 3, Accessories, Video Games (end time 05-Feb-09 01:23:50 GMT)

seems to do the basic stuff, thats if it works

or get an official one, has more buttons, any of them be any use for normal DVD/BluRay operations

Or splash out on a nice universal one, though as I type, I think I'd still need to buy a little dongle to plug in for infa red functionality.

So I am throwing it out to the good folk on here for advice. Thanks in advance for any help that may be forthcoming

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
or get an official one, has more buttons, any of them be any use for normal DVD/BluRay operations

I have the official one , great for Blu-ray and DVD. The IR ones you can't turn PS3 on/off with, not much of a problem unless you're lazy like me :rotfl:

Argos have the official one for £17.59: Link

Yep get the real one,it looks good as well.:smashin:

If you are going for a universal remote i would look at the logitec harmony range - i have the 885 and use it to control my av amp, tv, xbox 360, skyhd box, subwoofer and even my ipod dock.

The one thing it does not control is the ps3! None of the current universal remotes operate bluetooth devices like the ps3. So if you are going down that road you would need something like ir2bt but be warned they are not cheap.

I think it really depends on what you have in your set up. If you are looking for a relatively cheap way to control the ps3 for bluray/dvd then get either the official one or one of the 3rd party ones available but if you have a more complicated set up and are looking to streamline the operation of everything in it then go for a universal.

I picked up this one from Currys for £9.77

link:
PDP PS3 Media DVD Remote

Its a tiny little thing but looks & feels very good and seems to work well

How big is the USB dongle that this comes with? Quite tempted to pick one up for a Tenner to use with my Harmony 885 for PS3 control.

I have an official BT remote already but good as it is I'm fed up with the lack of backlighting on the remote.

I have the official one , great for Blu-ray and DVD. The IR ones you can't turn PS3 on/off with, not much of a problem unless you're lazy like me :rotfl:

Argos have the official one for £17.59: Link

Thanks mate, I'm lazy!

Or to be more precise I will be watching DVD's in bed and don't want to get up to turn it off

you can turn it off with any remote as there is a shutdown system option in the XMB menu now. You just can't turn it on with a non Sony BT remote

Hmm, that changes everything then. I think I will get one of those further up the page and a universal remote at a later date. Have a Pure HiFi, Sky Box (for FreeSat), TopUpTV Box & PS3. And thanks to that £15.99 recommendation for the Gameplay one, it sure is confusing now!!

How big is the USB dongle that this comes with?
It is the same size as a standard USB pen drive / memory stick.

I have copied over the IR commands from the pelican remote to my Sony RM-AV3100 universal remote.

It works but as with the pelican remote, naviagtion is a bit clunky with gaps required between each button press.
I only use it for BluRay playback; it is not useful for navigating XMB quickly.

It is the same size as a standard USB pen drive / memory stick.

I have copied over the IR commands from the pelican remote to my Sony RM-AV3100 universal remote.

It works but as with the pelican remote, naviagtion is a bit clunky with gaps required between each button press.
I only use it for BluRay playback; it is not useful for navigating XMB quickly.

Cheers for the info. Might go pick myself one up later. I can live with clunky XMB as long as it does navigate through folders OK even if a little slow. I tried using my old PS2 IR sensor via a PS2/USB lead and it was awful.

Just looked in Harmony DB and the PDP remote from Currys appears to be the "Pelican PL6350" under Games Consoles with DVD.

Last edited:
Bought the official one earlier, along with Cashback from TopCashback. Fingers crossed that they will think of it as software - that's 9% Cashback!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom