1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control for PC

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by arminvanbuuren, Jul 11, 2005.

1. arminvanbuuren

arminvanbuuren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've been looking around for a usb remote control so i can control playback of audio and movie files on my pc.
    I quite like the ATI wonder remote, though it has a couple of drawbacks...not all the buttons are programmable and im uncertain about the RF control as i have other electronic things near my pc (i'd imagine my hifi's FM antenna would interfere?). Though I do like that it can work through walls and can control the mouse cursor remotely.

I can't find a contemporary range of pc remotes so i'm wondering if theres been better ones released since the wonder remote. I'm looking to spend around £20.
    I can get the wonder remote delivered for £19.

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the RF should not interfere or have any interferance from a remote unit, what sort of control are you after and from how far away? you may need to spend a little more than £20 tho also what OS as Windows MCE has remote functions built in and can be used with a number of "learning remotes" like the harmonys

3. arminvanbuuren

arminvanbuuren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    typical distance would be 2-4m
    I almost bought the MCE remote, but i have XP SP2, and ive seen conflicting opinions on whether the remote would work with my OS (obviously excluding the media centre controls). would it work?

the harmony remote i saw was overkill, i dont care about learning functions that much and the lcd screen is totally unnecessary

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well if you can see the screen and have a bluetooth mobile (i recently fond out) you can use your phone to be your mouse very cool all you need is a bluetooth dongle £20 from ebuyer etc and phone a different idea but fun no idea about MCE remotes try asking Lisag oin HTPC forum